Harddrive replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
Do I need to find a harddrive that's compatible with my system / motherboard etc? or are they all nearly the same, just purchase, take out old, put new one with cables etc

Thanks any help appreciated

What a Vague Post, You might want to start by telling us Why you need a Harddrive, New Build, or maybe your old one died, Or prehaps you just want extra storage?.
Which in this case it seems you want to replace an old one.

The next "thing" you should Do is list the specifications of your Motherboard and PC.

But For the most part it is a simple process, Use Same Cables, etc etc. You will have to install an OS and backup information that you have from the old HD.

It's usually ide or sata for connection type.
If your getting sata, make sure your motherboard has it.
Sata2 drives are usually backwards compatible with sata.

I'll post specs later as I don't have the time atm, apologies for the vague first post.

Reason: Upgrading from an 80 GB hard drive.. need more space

So you won't be putting the OS on it then? sounds like you just want to ADD a hard drive, not replace it... depending on what hard drive you get:

If it's IDE, make sure that you have an IDE cable with 2 jumpers connectson it. Make sure that you also change the jumper pins in your hard drives to CS (cable select) and put the OS hard drive (or primary one) on the last (the end one) cable connection.

Sata is even easier... your system will auto detect

I'm taking out my old hard drive, (80 GB) and replacing it with a newer one with much more space. Or is it possible to have 2 hard drives as I've heard from some people..
And can I please which details I need to post about my mainboard?

-deleted specs-

hmm...
looks like u have two ide connections..
but that doesnt show that u have sata.

And in case u didnt know we need to know ur price range, if u plan on us giving u suggestions

And that pc wizard thing, doesnt give us good results. Just tell us and dont copy paste etc.

Ok i need to know wat kinda IDE connection u have on ur mobo.
theres 100 133 and i think 66
I also need to know if u have a sata connection
And yes u can have as many harddrives as u can put in

Suggestions:
Dont get a raptor, they are a waste
get another 80gb
dont use raid, it is complicated
Sata is much faster
Just please dont use wizards to tell us wat u have. just look in ur case and use google man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom