Harddrive makes 2 clicking noises, then computer freezes for around 60 seconds

Comp_Pro

In Runtime
Hey everyone it's been a while since I visited but I have a problem with my harddrive

This harddrive is around a year old, I have never had any problems with it, but very recently I have had problems.

First off, the harddrive makes a clicking noise, then I hear it spinning up then another clicking noise and then my computer freezes for 60-120 seconds. I have no idea what is causing this, the hard drive is not old and like I have said I have had harddrives that were 5 years old that didn't do this.

Not too long ago it would click and freeze but then it would go back to normal and I would never see the problem again for a while but now while trying to use it I get the computer freezing, computer goes back to normal after a what seems a very long wait then goes back to normal for around 10 seconds, before clicking and doing this again.

I am writing this from my netbook and in the time it has taken me to write this up I have heard the clicking noise happen at least 8 times. Any suggestions will help!

Edit: I have found out my harddrive is a SeaGate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB, and while searching for it in google the first link was this

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracuda-7200-drives-failing

I guess it is time to buy a new harddrive? Also I think heat may be a problem, upon taking my computer case off and touching the metal case on the outside of the harddrive I felt it was very hot

the clicking noises are definitely signs of hard drive failing. some hard drive manufacturers give out 5 year warranty, so have a look at the make of hard drive and check if warranty is extended. If data loss is of big concern then i'd suggest a backup but seeing as you have a failing harddrive its difficult.

First of all, if you have any data on that drive, get it off of there ASAP. It's going to stop powering on soon, or altogether just stop working even though it sounds like it might still be working.

Definitely check with Seagate support to see if the drive is under warranty. The Seagate Warranty check page is here: Warranty and Returns Assistance | Seagate

If it's out of warranty, get a new drive. But above all else, stop using the drive if you have data on there that you need to retrieve. Just leaving it on while you type on another computer is likely not helping. If you don't have any data on it that you care about, then disregard. :)

Back
Top Bottom