Hard Drive

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
Bought a laptop in August, now I can hear a faint hard drive ticking when loading. I don't know if this happened before, but it used to be quite silent. Its not clicking or very loud, but I only hear this kind of noise in older computer/hard drives. Should I be worried about failure?

I can't really use check disk software b/c im running ubuntu.

Suggestions?

Try booting up from a UBCD4WIN CD. It's basically a stripped down XP with a bunch of utilities and stuff that runs from the CD. You can run chkdsk that way...

Try booting up from a UBCD4WIN CD. It's basically a stripped down XP with a bunch of utilities and stuff that runs from the CD. You can run chkdsk that way...

I think you have to have windows to use it...cuz it boots up from the files on the HDD doesn't it? I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but I thought that was how it worked. This is just hearsay.

It should have HDtune pre-installed. I think I've used UBCD once before.

I have used both the normal UBCD and UBCD4WIN and for simple things like a diagnostic, I recommend the normal UBCD. It's easier to work with when dealing with testing HDDs and memory. If I'm trying to remove a real nasty virus and need something to boot into, then I'll occasionally use 4WIN. Sometimes simpler is better.

Back
Top Bottom