Hard Drive w/ virus

Istonian

Daemon Poster
Well someone gave me their computer for spare parts and i found a 40 gig hard drive. the only problem is her computer was messed up by a virus. i was wondering if i format the hard drive will it get rid of the virus and if so how do u do that?

yes it will get rid of it.

ok what you do is connect the hard drive as a slave drive to another computer, and then when it appears in my computer, right click it and click format.

istonian said:
Will the slave hard drive give a virus to my computer?
well i'm not sure, the best thing i would think to do would be to temporarily replace that hard drive in your computer, format it, then replace the original hard drive.

I wouldn't just plug it in, I would format it with a Windows disk, then put you're original drive in and format the other drive in windows so you can use the space.

I am not going to be able to use the hard drive thats in my computer now though.

after its formatted, if you set the 40 gig as a slave and have all teh ribbon cable connectinos right, you will be able to use your current drive.

borat_sagdiyev said:
yes it will get rid of it.

ok what you do is connect the hard drive as a slave drive to another computer, and then when it appears in my computer, right click it and click format.

I wouldnt do it that way, there is still a chance of infecting his primary drive.

Set the infected drive as the ONLY drive on the system.

single,

and then format it by booting to floppy or CD rom or whatever tool you plan on formatting the drive with.

for example win XP bootable CD

boot to CD, then select the 40Gig and format it.

Yea, the best bet would be to format it via XP CD with it as the first thing that boots, that way you will get rid of everything.

Back
Top Bottom