hard drive question

sully654

Baseband Member
im thinknig about building a new computer... basicaly just for moding.. i dont paly much games on it any more since i bought an xbox360 but any way... i dont want to have to buy a 200dollar xp operating system when my hard drive has all the programs and xp on it... what are the specs i need to look out for to make sure my hard drive will go with my new computer?

Well, what are the specs of your computer? If you're going for a basic build, any Seagate or Western Digital 7200RPM hard drive should suffice. Give us more info, though.

I read it as you wish to transfer your existing hdd and os to the new pc, assuming that is correct you'd need to look for same motherboard, chipset to swap straight over which would kind of defeat the purpose.

It is possible to do a repair install of Windows sometimes but can get quite involved as the drivers for the new m/board would be totally different than the original board..

A clean install is the best way to go imo

yes "A True Folder" thats what i was going to try... but yea i wanted to get a whole new everything.. motherboard included.. so i guess ill have to buy a new os if i build the computer.. thanks for the help

You won't have to buy a new os unless you intend to continue using the existing one on another pc. You can use your existing os on a new pc.* You may be able to straight swap to the new enclosure but as I said above you will need to do a repair install (this leaves your data intact) to ensure your old m/board drivers etc are replaced by the new board drivers, it does work but if you have the option to back up all your data and do a freah install it is a lot less "difficult".

* providing it is not a proprietary brand pc that utilises a recovery partition or restore disks.

want planing on it... my hope was to keep my old video card... its an ati radeon 9550 256mb.... yea it aint good but it gets the job done on cs haha

EDIT: how do uno that this hard drive will work? like what spec tells u its comptible withthe motherboard

On the label of your current drive, it should say whether it's an IDE or SATA drive. Another easy way to tell what kind of drive yopu have is by looking at the cable. If it has a wide ribbon cable, it's an IDE. If it has a very narrow cable (1/2 inch or so) with small connectors, it's SATA

You'l want to look for motherboards that have either, or both, IDE and SATA connectors. The one you listed has 1x IDE and 4x SATA connectors.

If you're looking to swap your current drive into a new build and want to keep ypur OS and everything intact, follow this tutorial: Swapping your board without so much as a reinstall. I've used this method a couple times with no problems.

iight thanks for the help :-]

EDIT: yea i have an ide... i remember cause i took it apart a couple months ago and noticed the cables didnt look like any that ive seen in mod'd computers... is there any sort of wire loom for ide calbes? like so it dont look so sloppy?

EDIT EDIT: so id want to look at a different motherboard? since theres only one ide port?

Back
Top Bottom