Hard drive query

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I'm confused when looking at one of my hard drives and am wondering if someone can help me please.

The drive in question is my F: Drive which is a Kingston 120GB. When I look at the 'properties' in internet explorer it is showing as 62.9GB used space with 2.22 GB free.

When I go into Macrium Reflect it is showing as 120GB with a red bar showing and two figures in the bottom left hand corner of 60.74 GB and 62.96 GB and there is a greyed out area showing 48.83 GB.

Would someone be able to explain this for me please.

I have attached a couple of images which I hope will show my problem in more details.

Attachments

• F Drive.jpg
    F Drive.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 5
  • F Drive_2.jpg
    F Drive_2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 5
For some reason it looks like the size of the partition size on the drive is smaller than the maximum size of the drive - presumably a misconfiguration by the factory. It might be they make a default partition on their drives and put the image for the 64GB drive instead of the 120GB drive on it before shipping.

My recommendation is either:
1) Move all the data you have on there to a different drive, and then format the drive but set it to the full ~120GB
2) If it is able to, use Macrium Reflect to expand the size of the partition from the 62.96GB to the full ~120GB.

A less likely possibility is that the rest is a hidden backup partition, but if so it's unusually large.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input Yami. I was able to expand the partition to its full size and it worked a treat.

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom