Hard Drive Problems?

sudose

Baseband Member
Hey fellas,

My hard drive is messed up :(. A few days ago, every time I tried to boot up my pc the computer would stay at the windows bar moving across and then go to a blue screen and repeat doing that. So re-installed windows and now in-game CS 1.6 I will start to get short freezes. I run at 100fps at all times but will freeze for a split second. What should I do guys?

Have you checked your video card? is your computer randomly switching off?, check your system temps to see if its running hot. when was it last cleaned out?

I checked my video card it was fine the last time I opened it. I don't believe it's running too hot. My computer did randomly turn off like for 2 days like a month ago but it stopped. I haven't cleaned it out since August 2007 (since I created it).

I don't think its spyware as you have just formatted the drive, hmmm, take the side panel off and check the heatsinc for dust between the panels, I would give it a good clean and the inside of the case if its needed, its best to clean it out every 3months. are you getting any beep codes as this would point to memory problems.

I think you should clean it out.

Go to steam right click cs and go to properties then click on local files. defrag cache files and then click on verify integrity of game cache.

After that make sure everything is updated and have all windows updates.

Post back

I opened the heat sink before (2 days ago) and a lot of dust was around it, i cleaned it out. No beep codes present.

There is a little dust but nothing TOO bad.

Well if you say its not heat related and its not your videocard I can only think of a software confliction or a virus, you coud try a scandisk of your drive and select repair and recover
Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures: • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

well i re-installed windows and I have symantec anti virus up so i don't think it's a virus. Do you think it could be a hard drive error?

Possibly I'm not sure so try running the scan disk to see if it helps also try a registry repair program as well in case you have corrupt registry files.

Alright, I did some tune-up utilities, nothing serious found.

r1fle, I tried it I still lag in-game cs though, like 1 second freezes every so often. I haven't noticed any freezing in windows, odd.

Back
Top Bottom