hard drive partition(s) ????

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so, my new hard drive arrived yesterday. but i was so busy dealing with a sick computer, i could not do anything other than visually inspect it. now that my computer is well again, i can think about my new "toy". since i have never dealt with the software side of a new build before, i need to know about this. do i install an o.s. first, then partition the hard drive? of partition it, then the o.s.? actually, now that i think about that, i can not really hide the o.s. in a partition, or the computer will not be able to use it. right? so how and what do i do to create a rescue partition? i was also thinking i might do a partition for photos. or is my thinking that a virus will not cross a partition completely wrong?

Setting up the partitions can either be done before booting off of the Windows install disc with a tool such as GParted, or you can partition the drive during the Windows installer at the format drive/partition step.

As for malware hopping partitions...sure it can happen. Having data (documents, pictures, videos, etc.) on a separate partition mainly helps in the event you need to reinstall Windows...you don't have to backup all your data as it's already on a different partition than Windows.

I have two recovery partitions on my SSD drive, one is 450mb and the other is 451 mb, can I delete one of those? Do they do the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom