Hard drive making weird sound

CAKELIE

Beta member
Hi, I recently swapped out cases, and when I got everything up and running in the new one, I noticed that my hard drive was making weird ticking/gurgling noises. I took off the side panel and put my ear right next to it as I just copy and pasted some large files. I remounted it just to make sure it wasn't the mount vibrating, but the hard drive kept ticking.
Could this mean that my hard drive is about to fail, or are there other things that might be causing this?

Note: ran a disc check just to see, and no errors were found.
It's a 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Thanks!

Have you tried defragging the hard drive? I use O&O Defrag Pro, but if you want to use a free option, I'd recommend Auslogics Defrag software.

Chances are, your hard drive is failing. Just because a scan says it's fine, doesn't mean it's fine. I recommend backing up your important data to another media. Then run a program like "HDD Regenerator". That will do a much better job of detecting and correcting potential hard drive issues.

oldschoolpc is correct, very good answer, not sure what HDD Regenerator is tho so I can't judge that program

I've also never heard of it, but a quick glance only says it's $60. A little much for me, not knowing how effective it is.

Grab Hirens Boot CD from Download Hiren and burn that to a CD or make a bootable flash drive, then go into the DOS tools, hard disk tools, and run GWSCAN on all of your drives affected. The full scan is fully capable of detecting drive-level failures, and in some cases can even fix failures (though I tend to not to rely on those disks after that...)

I've used the software for 10+ years on everything from Maxtor to Western Digital to Seagate. It's worth its weight in gold, should it have a cost associated to it. :) (it's free, and so is Hirens)

Back
Top Bottom