Hard drive issues

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
My friend is getting the BSOD for some reason and he wants to reformat. But he wants to save all of his music and pictures. In the past I have hooked up my hard drives, w/ messed up OS's, to other computers very easily, but I seem to be having problems.

When I put my friends HDD in my computer it will not boot up, it keeps restarting on the windows screen. When I take his HDD out it boots up fine. I even put a jumper in my friends HDD to try and set it to slave, but I don't know which are the right prongs. Does anyone know which prongs do what? It's a samsung hard drive. What can I do to get my computer to boot up with his hard drive to back it up?

I've done it in the past with IDE hard drives but now I'm working with sata, and mine doesn't have jumpers. The way I did it was either plugging them in and it boots properly (I might be forgetting something though, lol) or I use a linux live cd to copy from drive to drive, which I can't seem to get working.

Thank you! :)

If it's a SATA drive, just plug the SATA cable in after the computer boots. The drive is likely getting confused and booting from the wrong drive causing the BSOD.

If it's a SATA drive, just plug the SATA cable in after the computer boots. The drive is likely getting confused and booting from the wrong drive causing the BSOD.

That didn't work. And secondly, my friends drive gets BSOD when it boots by itself. And yes its getting confused, I need to fix it so it's not confused, I know there is a way I just can't find it.

It sounds like the drive up and died. I've had dead drives keep computers for booting. If it's still under warranty, he should look into getting a replacement.

If he really needs the files off of it, you can try the freezer trick to help recover them. Take the drive and put it in a ziplock bag. Then place it in the freezer for a few hours or even overnight. Then, pop it back into your comp. If it works, move quickly to retrieve any needed files.

*Fixed...Woohoo! :)

The drive is fine. I used knoppix to access the hard drive and installed another dvd writer to burn what I needed.

Back
Top Bottom