Hard Drive Help

bayoufrogg

Solid State Member
I posted on here a while back about problems with my sony vaio laptop. I have taken the harddrive out and want to upgrade. The harddrive i have now has the following written on it:
ModelJSA-220
5V 500mA
15.00 GB ATA/IDE
4200rpm
P/N:07N4389
MLC:H31898
S/N:445l8173
(and under the barcode it has the number 07N4389H318980s16)

I want something around 20GB or possibly a little more that will work in my vaio. How do I know which aftermarket ones will fit for sure?

fits based on size or whats supported by your laptop?? If you mean by size I think laptop hard drive sizes are like desktop hard drives they have to conform to certain standards, so I think if you get a hard drive thats for a laptop then you should be fine.

the website you gave me is great. I need to find SO DIMM cards too, so thanks a lot. The only thing is the extra info......like mm's, MS, and MB. All my hard drive says is 15GB, 5V, 500mA, 4200RPM. I dont have all that other stuff written on mine so how do i know which one is better based on that other info.

The 5V is how much power it needs to run. The 4200RPM part is how fast it will transfer/access data. So 7200 is faster then 5400 which is faster then 4200 and so on. The simple version. Consumer reviews also play a big role. Try typing in google something like "western digital (if that is the drive you select) model number review. I honestly do not know what type if any are out there for individual components.

For more info you can do a search with google or go to the about drives menu at the top...or skip to this page.

http://www.drivesolutions.com/info/aboutterms.shtml and it will explain some more of what is on the drives etc. Tired and gonna go now. Hope that helped.

I hope you take the time to read everything and make an informed decision. It takes a little work to get to where you need to be to make that type of decision. Or, you can just say screw it and hope for the best. But I don't know everything and with what I know I still review details of whatever area I'm working in. Like if I am troubleshooting a router then I will brush up with some quick notes I have of the commands and overall layout of the network before I dive in. Same goes in anything I do. I am not the smartest guy and my work varies so much I have not had a chance to keep up as much as I would like in the hardware world.

Anyway, my $.02.

i think you misunderstood.....i got the rpms and voltage. i need to know what the extra stuff is on the first link you gave me. I went to sony vaio and put in my model(pcg-fx 240). It comes up with more info. than what is on my hard drive. It says other stuff like: "mm",
"MS", and "MB"(which im assuming is megabytes)
The problem is that there are several 20 GB and several 40 GB drives, but the differences are mainly under the categories mm, MS, and MB(again, none of this is on my hard drive)........How do I know which one to choose when that info isnt on my hard drive and there are no explanations for the differences?

first off have you tried to google your HDD(hardrive)? if you have and came up empty download everest(google it) and it should give you all the specs on your HDD and if it doesn't give you much it should at least give you a link to the devolpers site and to your HDD.

any laptop hard drive should be fine i think 5400rpm is the standard so get a LAPTOP hard drive from www.newegg.com and just a tip stay away from segate i have one of them and 30gb doesnt show up on my comp

Back
Top Bottom