hard drive faliure help!!

cluelessclare

Beta member
have i just been unlucky but i have had 5 hard disc drives fail on me in the last 2 years if that.

it starts off that the pc becomes unstable then i hear contant clicking sound scome from the hard drive its self then i start to get blue screen errors intill eventually the harddrive fails to boot and will not be accessed even as a slave.

just before xmas one hard drive went up in smoke!

im having terrible trouble at the moment, trying to keep my pc stable. im running an amd athlon 3500+ with a msi k8t neo 2 mb, with a set of couseair memory. i am runnign wnidows xp home. my girlfriends computer does not have any problems at all and is set up next to mine. so i dont think its power surges. in any case i have moved from 3 diffrent houses and the same problem at every house.

any ideas?

This seems more than "bad luck!"

You have ruled out power surges from your AC line if you have moved several times. And your GF's machine is fine too.

What about:

Your power supply? Have all these failures occurred with the same PS? I'd consider replacing it if so. Easy to do and pretty cheap.

Bumps and knocks? Has the machine been subjected to abuse? Perhaps even during the moves? Maybe the case gets repeatedly nudged by your foot while the machine is running?

I have used at least a score of HDDs over the past 10 years! Only ever had a single failure, so, your experience seems highly unusual!

all the HDD were maxtors brand new. i have also used 3 diffrent power supplys including a tagon.

the case is up within a compartment inside a desk and is never knocked or hit.

i at first thought it was maybe over heating and bought some more fans and an exhust but it made no diffrence and the running temperatures were withing normal paramiters.

Back
Top Bottom