Hard Drive Controller problems

Shaevenmes

Beta member
I am trying to connect a laptop hard drive (IBM Travelstar) to my desktop as the bootable drive. I want to get the files off of it. The hard drive is accessible as i can see the files when connected as a separate (non bootable hard drive) and I can explore the files contained on it. I want to boot-up the hard drive as if it were still installed on the laptop (my laptop died - no power).

The hard drive starts to boot (WINDOWS 2000 Professional) but an stop error message indicates that it cannot continue. I am confident that the drive is still working properly it just does not boot while inside the desktop.

Any ideas on how to reconfigure the desktop to boot-up a laptop hard drive?

Thanks

Check your jumper settings for your laptop's HDD. Set it as primary and your other drive as secondary (slave).

Thank you though the hard drive has no jumpers on it (unless I cannot see them) it is a laptop hard drive with no jumper pins.

SHould this be done on the mother board?

IIRC, you may not be able to boot from it since it was installed on the lappy (hence different drivers not compatible/bootable with your desktop). Wait for a confirmation from someone else on this though...HDDs aren't my biggest strength. Can I ask why you cannot get the files off with it is as a non-bootable? Password protected or..?

dude is correct. Due to major differences in motherboard setups, it will throw errors as you have seen due to incompatible drivers and hardware.

Your best bet is to hook the drive up as a slave and just copy the files you need to your main drive.

Back
Top Bottom