Hard drive cache size question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
Seagate came out with a 500gb hdd that has a 32mb cache. How important is cache size? Will it make much of a difference in speed? Would it be more important to have the 32mb cache size on my os hdd or as my video, pics etc. hard drives? Please let me know what you understand about cache size on hdd because I don't for sure.

Seagate came out with a 500gb hdd that has a 32mb cache. How important is cache size? Will it make much of a difference in speed? Would it be more important to have the 32mb cache size on my os hdd or as my video, pics etc. hard drives? Please let me know what you understand about cache size on hdd because I don't for sure.

I heard that the cache size will considerably increase performance, though, I am curious to the specifics of this as well...

I used to have an old hdd with some unknown cache and I got the one i have with i think 8mb or something cache- evn though there roughly the same size/rpm hdd the cache made things run lots smoother for me, from pictures to music and the like.

if your buying a new one- i wouldn't reccomend less then 16mb cache anymore- but only if your using it as a gaming rig or something extreme like that.

Not only is there a cache difference - the inner workings are a bit different. I think it uses 2 platters instead of 3. And it also has a 105-MB/s sustained data rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom