Hard drive 3D model

I've put this much detail into the model. I am not going to start lacking commitment now :p The works. All of it.

Blame my OCD
Wow, that's a lot of detail, can't wait to see it! Gonna be tough and time consuming.

Well, the circuit board itself does have quite a bit of detail, and I'm slightly scared, but there are quite a few holes I can't skimp on with an image map...so would have to model them.

Almost finished the main body shape now, and correcting proportions with a few images I took. Updates tomorrow though; bed now :)

Here is a small update of work I finished yesterday on it. Only the track to sort out where the wire goes to the circuit board, a couple of cuts on the side wall, and changing the shape underneath where the circuit board goes. Other than that, all the main detail is finished :D
That will hopefully be done tomorrow as I'm not at work!

For now though, here is a OpenGL view:

harddrivedetailalmostdone-1.jpg

Hey Kage, have you gotten this model completely finished? I'd like to see what it looks like, maybe post it side by side with the actual hard drive so we can see how good you did.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm interested to see what it looks like and he never posted a finished product.

That is because I'm still working on it...
Its taking too long.
I'm working on the circuit board now, and I have figured it'd be impossible to model all of it, so some of it is in fact going to be a texture, but a very detailed one.

I'll hopefully get this finished up next week. If not, I'm going to give up on 3D forever... Its starting to stress me out, haha.

Its okay to bump this thread, as its ongoing :p

I will make sure to post them together. Sounds like a good plan, as a lot of hard work and dedication has gone into this. Probably too much for what it is

Quite a big update with some shaders (not final), and some textures.

Tomorrow, I hope to start adding the details on the circuit board (I haven't managed to do much). I've decided to try and make it using bump/displacement maps, as I've realized I couldn't possibly model all the tracks in a quick enough time.

This has taken long enough already.

Got to thank Mike James modo from the Luxology Forums for his help in scaling this beauty down for me to the accurate size, as it was messing the model up when I tried it, as it was over 300 metres in length...

I hope you like this. Sorry about the large size, and the relatively bad compression:

harddriveshadercopy.jpg

I'm quite impressed with the shaders thus far.

Back
Top Bottom