hard disk does not show in my computer after formatting

Tutu

Beta member
hi all, i am new to this forum so i dunno if this has been posted before so pls help me. recently i had formatted my computer and now my secondary hard disk does not show in my computer and i am not able to access it. it had not been assigned a letter. during the setup process it says that it will be assigned the letter F but it didnt happen. i know my hard disk is not spoilt as when i right click my computer and go to manage, the drive is there and it is healthy and active onli thing is there is no drive letter assigned to it. my OS is windows xp service pack 2 and pentium 4 2.4 ghz with 512 ram. the hard disk that is unable to be detected is a maxtor 20gb.i i included a screen shot. i cannot afford to format this disk as i have valuable information backed up in it before i formatted my C drive. btw the F drive that you see in the screen shot is my thumb drive and isnt F supposed to be the letter assigned to my secondary hard disk.
psl help

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/2824/com7pw.jpg

The reason this happened is because your drive wants to be F: but like you said your thumb drive has taken that letter. so just go back to computer management and right click the drive that has no drive letter and select "change drive letter and path" then click add and select a letter from the pop down menu. Or if windows wont let you change the drive letter then change the thumb dirves drive letter instead then reboot it should be fine after that.

lewis, my thumb drive was just plugged in after i could not find a solution
even without the thumb my disk does not show and as u can see from my screen shot the change drive letter option is not available to me with or without my thumb drive

lewis thanks for the suggestion
i will try it later as it is my gf com and i have to go to her place
i have found some softwares that might help and if it works i will post it so that ppl in the future can use it

i had just used partition magic and some other software and i am not able to copy or rename the drive. i found out that the partition drive is not NTFS or FAT but is roxio goback instead. i think this error is due to the fact i had installed norton go back earlier. i hope someone would help me solve this problem as my hard disk is now considered corrupted :( . i would not recommend installing norton go back as well

Back
Top Bottom