Happy Belated Birthday Rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Yeah, I wanted to make a birthday thread for my rig, but I forgot. I got all the parts for my birthday on the 14th last year, and I had it all built on the 15th.

But on to the point of the thread. I now have year old hardware and it hasn't aged really. The gpu is still Nvidia's best single-gpu solution. The processor is still the best that is worth buying, and the ram is what you still get. A year on, I haven't had to adjust settings in games whatsoever unless the games get poorly optimized (BFBC2) and that is just the game developer's fault.

How much longer do you guys think the rig is going to live for before an upgrade is needed? I see myself being able to max games for at least 2 more years do to everything being held back by consoles. Then maybe have turn start turning settings down a little bit for 2 years until new consoles come out. Yeah, I don't expect all the new consoles will be out for 4 more years. After that, I will probably need a new rig.

A 5 year life for a rig I think is good, granted I am going to sli as soon as I can get another gtx 285 for $100 or less. I also plan on adding an ssd in like 2 years or something when they are affordable.

You are good for a while no doubt. A ssd would be nice when they become more affordable. I am waiting on that.

GPU will be good until you have to have a dx11 card. Even then cpu, ram etc will still be great.

/agree on hef's post

I think anyone with a 260/280+ and a i7 are probably good for at least a 1-2 years. SSD is going to be the only upgrade needed..but again, agreeing with hef...gonna wait till they are a bit cheaper. kinda don't see myself paying $100+ for like 30gb when you can get a good 640gb WD for like $60-70 :\ $0.10/Gb or $3.00/Gb.....so yea, maybe once they drop below $1.00gb i'll get one lol

Honestly SSDs are already really cheap for what you get. A ~$150 Vertex will bow any RAID setup costing 3x as much out of the water and is one of the most noticeable upgrades you can do to a system.

Yeah I would want at least 80gb as I would like to have my major programs like CS4, SAS, SPSS as well as whatever games I am currently working on.

Have my eye on this:
Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

I'm fairly sure this is the same basic drive, just smaller. I remember reading a review about the X-25 and X-18 a few months ago... $190 vs. $290

Newegg.com - DANE-ELEC DA-SDM25-80G-N-T-MK 1.8" with 2.5" adapter SSD Migration Kit - SSD

My rig is pretty much exactly the same as yours. And I got it pretty much the same time you did I think.
Ok, your ram is a little faster, but my psu is bigger :p

edit: IMO ssd's are priced decently enough these days to justify their purchase. At least for the smaller sized drives. Prices for anything > 128Gb is usually outrageous. But yeah, for an OS drive (meh, 30Gb is plenty), definitely worth it.

That's a good point but I think more people care about storage over speed.

True, although since storage is by far the biggest bottleneck in a modern system it's surprising that speed isn't a higher priority.

I'm fairly sure this is the same basic drive, just smaller. I remember reading a review about the X-25 and X-18 a few months ago... $190 vs. $290

Newegg.com - DANE-ELEC DA-SDM25-80G-N-T-MK 1.8" with 2.5" adapter SSD Migration Kit - SSD

I'm pretty sure that's a G1 drive which doesn't have TRIM support.

True, although since storage is by far the biggest bottleneck in a modern system so it's surprising that speed isn't a higher priority.

I'm pretty sure that's a G1 drive which doesn't have TRIM support.

After a little looking, you are right. It's a G1, and basically at the end of it's road now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom