half my hard disk is being taken up by System Volume Information

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I have a 1 TB HD out of which I have less than 100 GB available. I couldn't find where all the data was going. I ran a program called TreeSize and that shows me 53% of my HD is in a folder called System Volume Information.

What are my options here?

For what its worth I do have an external 1.5 TB. Ideally I'd like to move this folder to there. Can I do that?

System Restore points? Shadow Copies? Recycle Bin? Windows backups?

You can't just move the "System Volume Info" folder - as it lives with each drive for Windows. It contains metadata and other info (like what I listed above).

System Restore points? Shadow Copies? Recycle Bin? Windows backups?

You can't just move the "System Volume Info" folder - as it lives with each drive for Windows. It contains metadata and other info (like what I listed above).

My recycle bin is empty.

OK so if I cant move it what are my options? A good half of my TB hard disk is being taken up by this.

Please the hard drive usege by partitions.
Most probably there are partitions, what You should not have. Also, maybe You have some kind auto backupper or recovery partition, whis takes too much space or something similar.

What are you using it for? Is it a PC or console? If it's a PC, you can turn off the hibernate file, as well as the pagefile.sys, re-allocate your HDD space, and turn the pagefile back on your secondary drive (D, for example, if you don't just use all of the space for one drive).

Back
Top Bottom