Hacker Gets 17 – 25 Years in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Hacker Gets 17 – 25 Years in Prison

What do you get for orchestrating the largest credit card theft in U.S. history? 17 to 25 years in prison, that's what.

Gonzalez entered a guilty plea in U.S. District Court in Boston on Tuesday in a case involving unauthorized access to computers of Maine-based Hannaford supermarkets and other retailers. He pleaded guilty in September to charges from two other retailer-hacking cases. Plea agreements call for Gonzalez to serve 17 to 25 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for March.

This is all wrong. Gonzales was once a police informant...one of the guys who played a part specifically obtaining the credit cards commited suicide...I hope at least some one is going to learn some thing from this. This was so easy in a way. At least obtaining the credit cards. All they had to do was break into wireless encryption and use the a custom made sniffer but I suppose any sniffer would work.

Thats true, most places do the bare minimum to ensure PCI compliance and this was a case of such actions WEP is not a valid security measure neither is ROT13, the PCI compliance makes upper management say yea ok we are good now and they don't realise that bare minimum is never ever enough when it comes to security.

...17-25, that's it? So after he rapes what was it, tens of millions of card holders, and causing widespread panick that cost all of these companies money and trouble during an already economic breakdown, we slap him with 17-25 years of US citizens tax money paying for his room and board?

Yeah, this is a big wake up to companies and how they need to hype up security. I understand that. But I don't think that was this guys' intentions, and I think 17-25 is a bit low.

Is this the same case as all the credit card details that were stolen from TK Max earlier in the year or something? Thought it was only in the UK that happened but it may be the same story.

Do think it's a change though cause these hackers and virus writers normally get a cushy well paid job don't they!

That happened in 08 and in the states JohnSmith, same company as the ones in the UK though but our details where not affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom