Hack can upgrade XP Home to XP Pro Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Hack can upgrade XP Home to XP Pro Lite

German computer magazine C'T claims that by changing only 2 bytes from the file setupreg.hiv in Windows's XP Home kit, users can get access to certain functions only avalaible in Windows XP Professional, such as Remote Desktop, User management and enhanced security features.

C'T writes in its latest print issue (in German only) that you need to copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your harddisk, extract the Bootsector of your WindowsXP CD and change only 2 bytes in i386\Setupreg.hiv by using Regedit. In fact all you have to do is edit the binary key "default" and change "01" to "00" and "02" to "00" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Homekey\ControlSet001\Services\setupdd, C'T claims.

There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service Pack 2, unless they integrate SP2 in the installation CD. And that's probably too much trouble for most users, who of course are better off buying a legal version anyway. It is expected that Microsoft will change the setup files soon to prevent this hack.

Thanks for the info warez. It worked perfectly. Intergrated service pack 2 and hacked home to pro. :D
Thanks for the tip.

dale5605 said:
Thanks for the info warez. It worked perfectly. Intergrated service pack 2 and hacked home to pro. :D
Thanks for the tip.

Dale, I'm sorry, but yet another reason why you are an idiot.

Yeah, I bet they were pretty pissed when that one came to light. They cant even bust people for pirating software with that little hack.

I used nlite to intergrate everything and it worked just like they said. Didn't think it would be that easy.

Warez Monster said:
why is he an idiot?

Thats what I'm wondering? I saw nothing wrong with the post. Maybe they have beef or something..lol. Awesome hack..yeesss ouch on MS for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom