"Gulftown" is the Flagship of 32nm "Westmere" Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
water :)

I would be tempted to try out AM3 tri-core if it could do 4.5+ghz stable under water, but I've not seen that so I'm sticking with my wolfy and will probs get a Q9650 when they are cheaper as my last one did 4.4ghz and I'm confident with the right chip I can do 4.5-4.6ghz on my setup.

Oh I've been thanking AMD. They have been doing a great job on the GPU front, and a pretty good job with mainstream cpu's. I even plan to pick up a triple core phenom 2 soon because AMD is second to none with it comes to the budget build right now.

BUT, it's undeniable that AMD can not sustain its company by doing this, it needs to start making money off of its processors by putting out some cpus where they make high margins. If this continues, AMD is going to go out of business -- and that will not be good for the consumer.

Especially if they get a bailout lol.

Amd isnt going out of business.

Retail cpu market is just a small part of their revenue....they still have the gpu division and they make a killing in the server market....theyre not going anywhere.

Unfortunately I wouldn't rule AMD going out of business in the future completely out. They have been posting large losses every single quarter and that can't go on forever.

I sure hope they make it as well for I hate a monopoly.

They are in trouble though. At the height of their cpu dominance stock prices were around $40 a share. Today they were at $2.37. Around the same time intel was selling for around $28 and today they are at $13.35. The last quarter's loss for amd was 1.4billion dollars although a fair amount of that was write downs in value from the ati purchase.

Right now they are trying to spin off their manufacturing into a separate company to reduce costs. Intel says the spin off company may not have the rights to use some of their patents that amd currently has the rights to. They are also strapped for cash right now.

Let us pray they make a huge comeback to keep giving us options when it comes time to purchase a new cpu.

How many people use a extreme cooling solution ? like liquid nitrogen ?

I think it would be much fair if we compare the overclocking potential of two processors by using cooling solutions that is used by most overclockers

Not many.. duh...

Are you saying that just because its AMD? Seems awfully like it because I've never seen you say that for Intel's high clocks...

OC's like those are just to make people like k1ngp1n or Extreme OC'er get more bragging rights, plus it gives Mobo's selling points if they are good

Are you saying that just because its AMD? Seems awfully like it because I've never seen you say that for Intel's high clocks...

It seems you always like to make it personal.

Just because I never said that for Intel doesn't mean that I deny it. Furthermore, in the past I never stated that Intel CPUs overclocks better just because it had highest overclock record, but because Intel overclocks better with cooling solutions that used by the average overclokers.

By the way, there are some few AMD fans here in this forum who only mention positive things about AMD, but I never seen you vernong saying the same thing to them ! Why ?

Hmm.. I see how you took that.. sorry heat of passion..

Because if Intel dies out, we have a monopoly, and vice versa...

I'll support AMD once in a while.. mostly on their GPU's though or the nice upgrades there for my rig!

It seems you always like to make it personal.

Just because I never said that for Intel doesn't mean that I deny it. Furthermore, in the past I never stated that Intel CPUs overclocks better just because it had highest overclock record, but because Intel overclocks better with cooling solutions that used by the average overclokers.

By the way, there are some few AMD fans here in this forum who only mention positive things about AMD, but I never seen you vernong saying the same thing to them ! Why ?

Because you always bash AMD and praise intel like its the next best thing since slice bread.

Oh, and some AMD chips oc better than Intel's. Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom