Guitar to laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static_11

Fully Optimized
A friend of mine uses his computer to record his guitar...

Guitar > Amp > Compuer records

He wants to know if he gets a laptop without a soundcard... would it work?

Gutiar > Amp > Lappie

?

without a physical sound card...

can you even put a sound card in a lappie?

come on gaara, you're a hardware guru.

Well when you say sound card do you mean there is no fancy dedicated sound processing unit like an Audigy or an X-FI, or literally no sound card meaning absolutely no sound capabilities including intergrated sound processing?

I mean all you need is a line in input to connect the amp or a microphone to, and I would think you would hard pressed finding anything that didn't meet that requirement

Ok so then assuming the laptop itself does have a line in connection which it should, as long as it is fast enough to handle the recording software you are ok

If he has USB 2.0, he should get a USB audio interface, like an M-Audio Audiophile or something. They run about 80 bucks, but they're at the professional level, as well as having ASIO support. You need something like this if you're doing anything above amateur recording, because onboard sound has such high latency it's not even funny.

on board will work. it won't be spectacular, but it'll work.

also, don't go from the line out into the laptop. go from the headphones out into the laptop.

WorldIndustries said:
If he has USB 2.0, he should get a USB audio interface, like an M-Audio Audiophile or something. They run about 80 bucks, but they're at the professional level, as well as having ASIO support. You need something like this if you're doing anything above amateur recording, because onboard sound has such high latency it's not even funny.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom