Guitar Learning =x

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
So I've been obsessed with the acoustic guitar for some time now and I finally got one. It's pretty old but can do the job, got it from my uncle :). Anyone got any tips for me in learning, I'm 100% beginner lol and yes I've been searching the net for some stuff and found some :).

Just wondering if any of you play the guitar and would like to shoot some tips for me, or recommend a site or anything of the sort that may help me learn :).

Just play. That's the best way to learn, experiment. Learning chords can be helpful, pick up some basic ones, mess around. Try to learn how to play other songs you hear, it gives you experience in general. You can learn technical stuff later if you want.

Seriously, it sounds corny, but having fun is a big help.

Just play. That's the best way to learn, experiment. Learning chords can be helpful, pick up some basic ones, mess around. Try to learn how to play other songs you hear, it gives you experience in general. You can learn technical stuff later if you want.

It's **** near impossible to learn something unless it's fun to you. So this is probably the best advice you'll get...just have fun with it or you'll get burnt out and not want to pick it up anymore.

Ah cool, guess I'll try it out. Yeah I have fun and I like it lots :D!
It's **** near impossible to learn something unless it's fun to you. So this is probably the best advice you'll get...just have fun with it or you'll get burnt out and not want to pick it up anymore.
Make sense hahaha, thanks for the advice :p. Fun is the #1 priority I guess :D.
search for free ebooks?

first hit

Download Free Guitar Lesson Guide
Haven't really looked up e-books, just searched for lessons and stuff lol. Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for all the feedback, also any off you play?

Uhm. I use to be able to play a few cords and beginner songs on an acoustic ...and I got a starter bass one time but never done anything with it. I played clarinet for 7 years though, so I do have a bit of musical talent lol

eBooks are good. If you don't mind spending money you could also go to your local music shop and find some sort of beginners book(most usually come with a DVD too).

Find some easy songs and check Ultimate Guitar for tabs. I learned playing Modest Mouse, since they've got a lot of simple stuff.

Here's a good site for chords. The numbers on the dots correspond to fingers, 1 being the pointer finger and 4 being the pinky. Start with the basic open chords (C A G E D), don't worry about the rest for now. Learn those and you'll be playing Neutral Milk Hotel in no time. Helps to find a few that go together and then to play that progression over and over until you're comfortable moving around.

It can be frustrating at first but just stick with it. Your fingers will stop hurting eventually, too. Calluses are great :D

This is great advice, I also agree with the post above recommending Ultimate-Guitar. I've been playing guitar for nearly a year now and I am entirely self taught. I looked at some beginners guides (mostly online) to get myself started and from there I've just played whatever took my fancy, occasionally I'd run into techniques that I didn't know so I would look them up and learn them.

hikari pretty much summed it up.

I play the guitar too, mostly electric. On and off for a few years.

When I first started I just wanted to play my favorite songs. So I looked up music sheets or tabs for them, learned the basic chord shapes and progressions, and then started playing. Most of the time I would just jam around the neck with the stuff I knew.

Oh and a great program I used to help me along the way is Guitar Pro. Love that piece of software. Ultimate-Guitar has hundreds of thousands of tabs that you can download for GP.

Yeah, Guitar Pro is great. Get yourself an electronic tuner if you don't already have one, an out of tune guitar is about as useful as a thumb on your elbow. Also there is nothing wrong with old guitars as long as they're still in playable condition :p they often feel better in your hands and tend to sound better. My favourite sounding guitar is over 30 years old, it's a nylon string that belonged to my dad. It has the most beautiful tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom