Guide: Overclocking The i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
well with my i7 @ stock 2.67ghz i get 30fps in crysis all very high settings....with it at 4.0ghz i get around 45....so it's totally worth it..and us techies just love the thrill of pushing things beyond what they are designed for...haha and at 4.55ghz it shaved a full second off my super pi 1m time ^_^

along with what tastegw said, if you do your research before overclocking, and don't just run in blindly and know the limits of the cpu before pushing them....it's relatively safe

"":::::HyperThreading
Revived from the old P4 days is hyperThreading (HT). HT basically means that a core is pretending to be two cores. In the i7 series Intel decided to have the cpu act like an octo core while being quad. This feature could be very useful in truely multithreaded applications but seems to make the cpu require 0.05 additional vCore. As long as you are not an extreme clocker or single/dualthreaded applications (games) user I'd recommend keeping it on. Personally I have it turned off for my F@H SMP client.:::"""""

So.. I should turn this OFF.... Didn't know that....

I will be re-reading this and stuff when my i7 is finished.. I may not use it or OC, but I will read it.

As long as you are not an extreme clocker or single/dualthreaded applications (games) user I'd recommend keeping it on. Personally I have it turned off for my F@H SMP client.

haha keep it on...sometimes it helps when overclocking to get higher clocks because it uses less vcore voltage.....but for average people leave it on

btw you can use the [.quote] text here [./quote] (without the periods) to quote something

great guide, i cant wait to get my i7 so i can really figure out how all this comes into real practice, don't really learn untill you've done it yourself.

well, with much more reading and learning about the i7 and its overclocking.

my initial goal was to hit 4.0..so i have a lil bit to go.

i was able to achieve a real easy 3.8GHz with "like stock" idle temps of 32C

bclk @ 200x19 (vcore @ 1.34v)
ram @ 1600 8-8-8-27 (1.64v)
qpi voltage set to 1.3
vtt voltage set to 1.34

my i7 is CO / C1 batch #3837B801 if it means anything.

booted up just fine, ran 3dmark06 twice(cpu score 6554) as well as superpi (11.093)

but what i have learned about my ram, it does not like anything over 1600 period.
so if i want to go further than 3.8 or 4.0, I will indeed need new ram rated for 1800+

i should try with the multi @ 20 to get an even 4.0GHz but ill wait a lil bit to try.

i found this guide from ocz to be very helpful also, it has some info that may have not been covered with this guide.
Overclocking i7 - Hints and discoveries - OCZ Forum

thanks a bunch ComatoseClown, im happy with my results so far and your guided helped me understand i7 overclocking a ton

My EVGA X58 bios has a setting for MCH Strap. I left it at auto for the longest time and I was stuck in the 3.6 to 3.8Ghz range. Then one day I got around to playing with the MCH Strap and when I set it to 1600 I was invited to the 4Ghz club. I also gained a little stability by lowering my CPU PLL VCore from 1.8v(default) to 1.75v

Maybe this will help someone, maybe not :D

hey hey! glad it's been helpful....i found this little chart over at Tom's Hardware and thought it would be a nice little addition to the guide.....if a mod could please put it in there somewhere would be nice (considering i can't edit my post...egh...lol)

settingstable.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom