Guide - How to Encrypt Files/Folders in XP Pro

PerfectSK

Daemon Poster
Hey hows everyone doing? I thought since everyone was making guides I'd make one about how to encrypt data. This feature is only in Win XP Pro so you'll have to upgrade from Home if you want to access it.

Heres what you have to do to encrpyt a folder..
1.) Right click the file/folder
2.) Hit properties
3.) Click Advanced
4.) Click the check in the box for encrypt contents to secure data.
5.) Hit apply, and ok, and click ok when the dialog box askes you if you want to encrypt your data.

img12oq.jpg

img23ym.jpg

img31og.jpg

img40fh.jpg

Information only. The "Encryption" that windows xp has in it, does not work lol. example of this. take a plain text file. type blah blah blah in it, encrypt it, then upload that text file to a server. anyone can view it. so much for encrypted files:D I would find a better means to do this, I found this out a while back, and would strongly suggest not using it, because it gives you false security. all it does is turn the file name blue. thats it.

natej315 said:
Im sorry but what does this do? I know it encrypts stuff but what Does that mean? sorry

basicly put. what its SUPPOSED TO DO lol, is for example.

your password is "test"

depending on the type of encryption... your password encrypted may be

MD5 - test - 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6
SHA - test - a94a8fe5ccb19ba61c4c0873d391e987982fbbd3
DES - test - $1$Lwdo2l6c$af4ovnfSBl3xOsUkCcWfC1

that make sense?

Yeah, well the purpose of the guide was just to show you how a basic way of encrypting your files. A lot of people have WinXP Pro, so I thought it would help.

PerfectSK said:
Yeah, well the purpose of the guide was just to show you how a basic way of encrypting your files. A lot of people have WinXP Pro, so I thought it would help.
Sorry, I didnt mean anything negative by it, however unfortunatly Microsoft strikes back again with another lame attempt to do something lol. They do have good intentions with that feature, however they need to make it work before implementing it LOL

Lol, its all good man. I just want this thread to make into Arrix's sticky about guides, but nobody has really noticed it, or it didnt really help anyone. Anyways, if you feel this guide is good, or it has helped you, PM Arrix about adding in his sticky guide.

Maybe we could gather some info, on different types of doing this other than just windows, and make it even better? What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom