gtx460 crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr34ky

!!GAMER!!
So i went and got a Evga gtx460, first day everything ran fine, now its crashing during anything 3d, its almost instant now. No BSOD, just black screen with sound loop for 10sec then black until i manually restart. Then sometimes when i use reset button the gfx card fan revs up and down with no display. It gradually got worse over the last two days. My old rig has done me well for medium gaming and everything in between.
current specs:
Gigabyte k8n-sli (nf4)
a64 x2 4200+ @2.67ghz
2x1gb OCZ platinum ddr500
EVGA GTX460 1gb
1tb baracuda
apeiva 500w @+3.3V@17A, +5V@25A, +12V1@16A, +12V2@18A, -5V@0.5A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

Only reason i got the gtx460 was because my x1900xtx failed me after 5 years of use.
Yes i know this setup is ancient and im upgrading soon, but i preordered black ops and BAM my vid cards takes a poop, then i cant play black ops on release day because im waiting for my 460 and now its crashing instantly. Does anybody know of any fixes? that could make my day!!!

should i rma this card or is it my psu? My PSU only has a single pcie connector but im pretty sure 2 molex carrys the same voltage as a single 6pin. My amp rating on 12v rails is well within requirements for the card as well. I also have only a harddrive with no optical drives.Ive also read about this card not agreeing with old chipsets.?..?..

edit: tried driversweeper as well, used 260.xx drivers, same thing.

within next couple days going with am3, x3 740 then unlock it to 4 cores with some ddr3. Got a asrock picked out that has unlock feature.

Thanks for any help

Nice, now its acting up at windows startup screen. Black screen and fan goes full speed. I have to restart it manually.
Im runnig windows xp pro 32bit btw.

Your psu is just at a 460s limit, and its getting old so its even worse.

I'd try youre psu first... if you've got a shop, bestbuy, CC or whatever with a good return policy, I'd get a new psu, 550ish to be sure, and try that first. If it doesn't work go return it. Then try a rma on the card.

Either way, with yor plannd updates, youre going to be taxing an old psu, so a psu upgrade won't be a bad idea.

What you could trfy is run hwmonitor, and furmark.... Watch the Voltages on the psu as you start furmark and see if they drop.

It could be your old ATI drivers conflicting with the Nvidia Drivers. Even if you removed the ATI Drivers through the Control Panel some of the driver files might still be on the system.

Download Driver Sweeper and install it, but don't run the program yet.

Now go to the Control Panel / Add & Remove Programs and un-install your existing Nvidia Video Drivers and if you see any reference to any ATI Video Drivers un-install them also.

Restart the PC, when it posts tap the F8 key and this should bring up a Start-up Menu. Select Safe Mode. When you get into Safe Mode SKIP the "System Restore Option". Now start up Driver Sweeper and check the boxes for both Nvidia and AMD/ATI "Video" Drivers and Clean them from the system. Restart Windows normally. You'll now have to re-install the Newest available Nvidia Video Drivers.

Your psu is just at a 460s limit, and its getting old so its even worse.

I'd try youre psu first... if you've got a shop, bestbuy, CC or whatever with a good return policy, I'd get a new psu, 550ish to be sure, and try that first. If it doesn't work go return it. Then try a rma on the card.

Either way, with yor plannd updates, youre going to be taxing an old psu, so a psu upgrade won't be a bad idea.

What you could trfy is run hwmonitor, and furmark.... Watch the Voltages on the psu as you start furmark and see if they drop.

Pretty sure its a psu issue now, but tell me what you think about my 12v under load. HWmonitor was EXACTLY what i was looking for. I use everest but i couldn't find in-depth voltage readings from it.
hwmonitor.jpg

4v on 12v is pretty weak im guessing. This was ran in the source vid stress test since everything else crashed for me.

I did driver sweeper but not in safe mode, i will try this and report back soon.

Im looking at this psu, right in my budget.

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Went ahead and got those new parts. I need to unleash my 460 from its old hardware. Trotter thanks for the suggestion but i didnt read it till right now and i ordered a psu last night. The reviews said it was a good psu, I dont plan on running SLi so it should do.

-Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...

-AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor HDZ740WFK3DGI - OEM

-ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

-GeIL Value PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Desktop Memory Model GVP34GB1333C9DC

-ASRock 880GM-LE AM3 AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

-Arctic Silver 5 Premium Thermal Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom