Great ? for the real pros (New Tech) need a work around

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
So my friend, who is trying to save every penny she can right now, walked into Alltel to pay her bill and Was talked into walking out with a new internet Device that would be cheaper than her current internet. Small as a Thumb drive, the PCD UM185 (yea, thats it. I guess it doesnt have a name yet, but I love how they put "PC DUM" right in the middle of it.
PCD UM185 - Alltel Phones and thats all the info I caould find on it.....ANYWHERE.

After I told her that she should never buy anything thats that new of tech, I told her I couldnt get my computers to see eachother for 13 years, much less share a file or a printer, But I knew where I might be able to get an answer (here) from some people much better at this kind of thing than me.

The problem is that they didnt inform her that its basically made for truckers and salesman, not really for home internet and that she wouldnt be able to get internet to more than one computer at a time. So when she figured that part out she called them and thats when they informed her that she needed their special router for only 289.00 plus tax.
So I need a work around. My first thought was PC DUM to USB Router to the rest of the house, but I have a Belkin N1 wireless that has served me without fail for years so I dont know anything about USB routers or how they work. I need a fix to get this thing to get web to 4 computers, some wireless, without a $300 price tag.

You'll have to plug the USB device into one of the PCs then configure internet sharing. What OS are the PCs running?

No idea if it would work but, you could try a USB to ETH converter cable and then plug it in like you would a normal modem. Setup the router for DHCP and see if that works for you. Radio Shack usually has the converter you would need priced around 20-30 bucks.

Sorry for the lack of info in this post yesterday, I was racing a storm and was trying to get it up before my com went out.

Configure internet sharing: This was actually my first thought but 1) two of the Coms are wireless and 2) She has a 16YO daughter who isnt going to except any thing with a wire hanging from it (" OMG - It would like, Soooooo embarrass her when her friends came around - w/e) So Im going to use this as the last ditch to run to.

Try a USB to ETH converter cable: I had also thought of this, but I believe, and maybe someone might correct me if Im wrong, this is more for stuff that already has power. This device GETS its power FROM the Com, so I dont think this would work.

I would just give her a list of options to try like these except she has no money to spend on experimenting, which is why she shouldnt have gotten this in the first place without doing a little research first, (but she didnt know) and now shes just stuck with it. Im wondering if just plugging it into a USB Router, as if it were the Outside Connection, would actually give the router internet. I mean if it would power this device, that is. Im just not sure and I cant ask her to spend $40 or $50 on something that may not work.

On a lighter note: I was EXTREMELY impressed with this little device, myself. She had taken her son fishing at the river in the middle Nowhereville (No chance for a wireless router connection, and a hard chance for cell phone connection) and so I met her there to get some info that she had for me and she happened to bring this and her laptop with her. She pulled the laptop out and set it up on her car hood and plugged the little device in, again, no bigger than a thumb drive, and within 20 seconds, the laptop had full blown signal and high speed internet. I was almost speechless. Its worth the money.....Not sure what the monthly bill will be for it, but if its as cheap as they said it would be (Cheaper than her DSL at home) Its way worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom