Graphics cards

rich69

Beta member
Hi there.I'm new to this forum and am in need of advice.When playing any half decent game(this happened on quake4)the screen gets very jumpy (like a dvd player on step feature).My friend says my graphics card is to blame.I have a Dell3100,pentium4,512meg ram,2.8GHz processor,intel82915G/GV/910GL graphics card.Is this good enough.If not what do recommend?

recommendations:
at least 1Gb of ram

From the Dell site I can't decide if your graphics is integrated or a card or if you have an agp slot or not, can you supply detail please.

Have a look here, it seems there are problems with this display adaptor. LINK

do you know if your graphics card is integrated into the motherboard or is it separate? If your graphics card does not have its own (decent) processor then that might be the problem. If you aren't comfortable with going to the inside of your computer then you will have to hire a service person to install a new card. If that's the case then you will probably want someone with computer experience to buy the card with you as well. Not all cards can just go with all systems, and there is more then just a few stats in it. To make a good recommendation I would need to know what you are using the comp for? Is quake the biggest game you are going to be playing? Do you want to over buy your needs so that you are prepared for the future? Also if you happened to know more info on the mother board on your system that would be very helpful. But there are probably more experienced users here that can help you more then I. maybe there is a cheaper solution then a graphics card upgrade, but I am sure other members need more information as well.

its probably integrated. all new computers are now. ummm if you want a new gfx card for quake for go for an Nvidia or ATI, second whats your price range? but if your price range is low i recommend the Geforce 6500. thats what i have and for its price it runs very good. except for BF2 but for Quake 4, it should tear it a new one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130266

EDIT:yea its integrated, heres his specs
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/pcperipherals/0,39051163,39096664p,00.htm

since it's a dell.. and a relatively lower end dimension deskstop...i wouldn't be suprised if it didnt have a pci-e slot or agp slot.. for that i would probably just recommend the radeon 9250 for pci, but seriously if you intend to play future and more demanding games with that cardboard box computer forget it :D . depending on what you have to spend and your ideas for your comp.. i would suggest just buying a new computer altogether..custom would be best of course!

uhh if u want to spend around 200 and not look back for a long time

eVGA 7600gt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130283

otherwise that 6500 or something similar should do...
k now what type of computer do u have...like a dell 8400 or what?? we need to know the model to be able to help u instead of just guessing........thx :D

also 1gb will perform much better and if ur mobo supports dual channel u will be flying :D

he uses a dimension 3100.. which gave me the idea that he most likely does NOT have a pci-e slot since most dimension desktops don't... i know the two dell dimension 3000s that i have lying around are PCI only.

but this one does, look at the specs on my last post

Expansion/Architecture
PCI slots (free) 2 x PCI slots; 1 x PCI-Express slot

Ports 6 x USB2.0; VGA out

Back
Top Bottom