Graphics Card Weird Noise

Jake-

In Runtime
I crossfire, and this was my primary card XFX 7950.

Its worked great however recently my screens (it powers 4 off them) have started twitching up and down (about) once every minute, and while gaming a high pitched sizzle/gargle sound is made in a similar pattern a HDD makes when reading.

So I did some detective work (because at this point I didn't know it was that card), I unplugged all my HDD's individually (sound still there), then I turned off my other card (sound still there) finally I disabled this one and the sound was gone.

So I switched my other card to primary and crossfired again. Powered it back up and there was no screen twitching + no sound, but after 5 mins gaming the sound come back. I have the latest catalyst software and I'm confident it's this card.

It still works yes, but obviously not properly, and I would rather get it sorted now then when its worse or even out of warranty.

I have uploaded a video of trying to show you the sound, its difficult because my PC has a lot of air flow, but you can hear it over the top. High Pitched Sizzle/Gargle in a similar pattern a HDD makes when reading (but loud) - YouTube (If you cant here the high pitch noise turn down bass)

I contacted the supplier (novatech), they said they would take a look, i have to pay for the postage £15! I don't want to pay for this because i think they would send it back saying its in working order?

Would it be better to contact XFX to see if they would sort it out for me?

I think xfx would still need you to post it to them, and you would still be left paying the postage. But i agree you need it sorted before it gets worse.

Im really lucky as Novatech is down the road to me.

A noise like that sounds like a capacitor is boiling off. It's not an end user item you can fix. Best to request an RMA and let the techs sort it out.
It would be real helpful if you write down what you were doing when it started acting up and describe the sound you heard. Slip the note in one of the openings in the cover shroud so the tech sees it.

Back
Top Bottom