Graphics Card upgrade...replacement for GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3

mw4man

Solid State Member
so...

About a month ago...my recording studio PC wouldn't boot. It would attempt to start...run 20 seconds...turn off...& repeat that sequence over & over. On the advice of someone here...I pulled, then reinstalled the graphics card; & it went back to working fine ('till now). I'm thinking I should just replace the graphics card...start there.

It currently has a PNY GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3. That replaced a GeForce 8400GS 256 MB (about 3 years ago...at which time the machine wouldn't boot 'till after I replaced the card w/ the one in there now).

What would be the appropriate replacement/modern equivalent? (don't really need super-dooper graphics output...I just want this problem to go away, so I can finish my CD release).

thanx,

mwf
Zallman Tower, w/ RS-700-AMBA-D3 Cooler Master Silent Pro Power Supply
Intel Core i7 LGA1155 MoBo, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU
16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD
Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD
PNY GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3 (replaced GeForce 8400GS 256 MB)
Win 7 Professional 64-Bit
Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16
Universal Audio UAD-1
Cakewalk SONAR PE XI
Steinberg WaveLab 7
NI Komplete 5
PG Music Band-in-a-Box 2012

(Also: Ordered a PSU online...figured I'd replace that also)

But it's a I am guessing audio studio PC now you are on the low end of specs but if you upgraded the CPU motherboard and ram.Intel 10400 is $140 board you could get ad little as $80 and ram like $120 if you did 24 you could try 16 but some newr audio programs are ram heavy. That would what did you spend 80 to 130 for a very basic graphics card.
have been smarter in the long run the new Intel intergrade graphics aren't bad and amd has Zen 3 what you need is cores they don't have to be that fast just one thread per channel a good sound card and audio interface and to be safei built a kick as computer for $1000 w/o graphics card.

Attachments

• PXL_20211126_153553818.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211126_153553818.MP.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1
IGPs still suck even in modern machines outside of 5000 series APUs.

Also:
https://www.techist.com/forums/threads/zallman-tower-on-off-on-off.404948/#post-3379254

my UAD-1 system will need to be upgraded; & the plug-in xfer settings alone would take dozens & dozens of hours to implement)

He's using Windows 7 and upgrading to newer hardware makes it really difficult to simply install the OS let alone reinstall everything wasting time that could be used to be working. Putting a new GPU in is 10 minutes or less and done without a tedious setup process. For a gaming or video/photo machine buying all new is relatively easy, but audio machines are different when dealing with older hardware and the amount of plugins / pre-setup that is necessary for mixing/mastering. I've had to format my machine this year and all I use is Reaper with some plugins to record just drums or guitar. It took me the better part of 4 hours to setup a mild recording setup with plugins and projects. This is also with everything saved to my server on a 10Gb network. Sometimes the cost of convenience saves money in the long run if you do it for a living.

Back
Top Bottom