Graphics Card question

sung13

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Processor 4200+ with 2GB of RAM. The problem is that is came with an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6100 graphics with PCI Express x16 expansion slot and up to 128MB shared video memory.

When i play certain games (Elder Scrolls: Oblivion), it is very choppy at higher resolutions. I assume its because of the graphics card. Does anyone know of a good graphics card for under $200 which would work well with my systems. Any help would be appreciated.

There are lots of nice Graphics cards under $200. You can get an nVidia GeForce 7600 (SLI compatible) for around ~$180 @ newegg.com. That should do well. Or an ATI XT1600.. something along those lines.

I have a real basic question. How do you run a 3D benchmark test? Or any benchmark test for that matter? Is there a program inside windows or do i need to purchase something? I always hear benchmarks but have no idea how to test my comps benchmarks.....

thanks again....

No problem! Glad to help... perhaps some reputation points in return? Naw, jk. I like helping!

Yeah I'd go with the 7600 series. Or then try ebay and find a 6800GT for cheap.
edit: and check the psu wattage.

Yeah, the reason that your game ran choppy is because:

1) only 128MB of video RAM
2) the video RAM was shared, which means it took from the system RAM

Go for a video card with dedicated RAM, always better performance.

The reason the game ran choppy was because:

1. It had slow RAM, because it was sharing the DDR of your system
2. It was a slow card with few pipelines and a low clock speed.

jervin, do you not get it? Even if it had 1GB of RAM that 6100 would still have been choppy, because it cannot process pixels fast enough because it has a poor pipeline. It is only partly to do with the RAM, and anyway, the core on that card is a lot slower than the RAM.

sung 13 - I would easily recommend a 6800GS, as they are faster than a 7600GT and will play Obvilion without being choppy :) They are around $190.

thanks everyone for your help....what are reputation points and how do i give them out?

Back
Top Bottom