Graphics Card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fibretip

Beta member
Hi guys, i have a question... I'm looking to get a new graphics card, back story :

i used to be on a 128mb radeon in my old box. I've just built a new machine which has an AGP only mobo, i have a really tired stop gap 256mb card in it at the moment (only cost like $70) and i'm looking for a decent AGP card to get it running nicely. I'd like to keep pretty recent, but i only have about $200-250 bucks (£100-150) to burn on this project now. Everything else is dandy, it's a 3.3ghz celeron d, 1gb of ram. I know nothing at all about graphics cards, so i really can't understand all the pixel pipelines etc...i just want something that will crank games out reasonably nicely... right now i have to keep far cry all on minimum except textures, and even then it starts to crap out in the middle of a gun fight. I'm happy to stick to a 256 mb card, just one that will actually work worth something! 512 i guess would suck in my price range? I was looking at the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1600 Ice-Q 512 card,

- Powered by ATI Radeon X1600Pro - 500MHz
- 512MB-128bit 4 channel DDR2 memory - 800MHz
- 12 Pixel shader processor
- 5 Vertex shader processor
- 8 Geometry Pipelines
- Ultra-threaded SM 3.0 Engine
- 256-bit Ring-bus

full specs here

because that would leave me some cash to get a decent mouse (mine is oooold) but woudl that card be weak? argh, i used to know about this stuff haha, it all moves so fast now. I was also attracted to the iceq thing because that corner of my case is a dead spot for air movement and that would get it going a little bit.

cheers!

if you can affored an 7800GS I think it'll do better. but im not sure it also supports SM 3.0, P.P. Mguire would know better, he has one.

for a base line i would look at the 6800gs. the 7800gs would be great if you could get it and the x1600 is reasonable as a low end card, although you might be better served with a 6600gt for price vs. performance in that case.

edit: that is the card. get that, i've never used a BFG card myself but i am told they are great.

thanks a lot for the quick help! just to check..(excuse my stupidity!)... there isn't a problem using a graphics card bought in the states in an english machine is there? my hard drives and several other parts were bought in the states and i've never had any problems there.

thanks again for the help, great forums :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom