Graphics Card Problem HELP!!!

Lukef224

Beta member
Basically I recently ordered a new graphics card (sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB) to replace my current below par AMD Radeon HD 8570D integrated graphics card.
When the card came, I proceeded to install the drivers onto the computer, then turn it off and install the card. Everything seemed fine upon startup.
Until I attempted to run a game, upon opening stalker clear sky(and 3 other games) everything would be fine through the menus, until I attempted to actually play the game, then I would get lots of fuzzy dashes across the screen following onto a completely white screen, then after that the computer would reboot.
I have tried disabling the current integrated graphics through both the bios and device managers all to the same result, and I have even attempted to retry the whole process from a fresh, re-installing the latest drivers and disabling the onboard graphics card immediately after inserting the new card.

Any info that anyone would be able to give would be greatly appreciated as I just want to play something!!! Sigh

Thanks, Luke

do you have something like Hardware Monitor installed to monitor temperatures - are the temps in the safe range for the card? (70-80C is safe on AMD cards).

If temps are good, boot into safe mode with networking (F8 on startup) and download this:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.3.0.0

Run this to completely clear out ALL drivers you have installed for AMD (past and current). Then reboot your PC into normal windows.

You'll notice the res has probably scaled down to 800x600, this is fine. Go to AMD's site and download the latest Catalyst control centre. Reboot again

Test and let'us know.

EDIT: Also, it's worth mentioning that I had a very similar problem with my 270X at first. It turned out to be an out of date PCI-E chipset driver. Visit the website of your motherboard manufacturer and make sure all your chipset drivers and BIOS are up to date. check the release notes on the latest BIOS to see if the notes mention anything to do with PCI-E compatibility. If not, it's probably not worth doing the BIOS).

If none of this works, can you please post the full specifications of your PC so we know what we're working with.

~J

Last edited:
do you have something like Hardware Monitor installed to monitor temperatures - are the temps in the safe range for the card? (70-80C is safe on AMD cards).

If temps are good, boot into safe mode with networking (F8 on startup) and download this:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.3.0.0

Run this to completely clear out ALL drivers you have installed for AMD (past and current). Then reboot your PC into normal windows.

You'll notice the res has probably scaled down to 800x600, this is fine. Go to AMD's site and download the latest Catalyst control centre. Reboot again

Test and let'us know.

EDIT: Also, it's worth mentioning that I had a very similar problem with my 270X at first. It turned out to be an out of date PCI-E chipset driver. Visit the website of your motherboard manufacturer and make sure all your chipset drivers and BIOS are up to date. check the release notes on the latest BIOS to see if the notes mention anything to do with PCI-E compatibility. If not, it's probably not worth doing the BIOS).

If none of this works, can you please post the full specifications of your PC so we know what we're working with.

~J

Thanks mate I'll have a look into it and get back probably some time tommorow
Thanks Luke

wattage is only half the story, it's the rating and the reputation of the brand (and therefore the component quality) that matters in power supplies.

Is it a branded PSU (Corsair, cooler master, seasonic, EVGA?) and does it have an 80 PLUS rating? (80 PLUS Brozen, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium)

You should be able to find this information all stampled or labelled onto the unit it's self.

(80PLUS means 80%+ efficiency, the ratings thereafter being increments, bronze is 82% and gold is 88% at 230V UK mains at 50% load for example. a cheapo powersupply may claim to be 500 watts, but if it is inefficient or has poor caps or transformers it could actually only be putting out 60 or 70 percent, or worse, of that amount))

Last edited:
If it's a corsair then it should be fine, I think we can eliminate the PSU being the problem, unless it smells like it's burning in which case it probably is :) people think im weird sniffing PSUs but there is method in the madness.

did you get around to trying the driver fixes?

Sniffing electronics is always a good indication of burnt/cooked components. I do that all the time when I look at used stuff.

Also a good indication of true wattage is the amps. Cheap PSUs usually fall short on the wattage despite their claim because they do not have enough amps to carry the load.

Sniffing electronics is always a good indication of burnt/cooked components. I do that all the time when I look at used stuff

You might want to get that looked at :ermm:

Just messing aha, interesting idea though, I'll try that myself, only ever really done it on something that I suspect has only just been roasted!

Back
Top Bottom