GPU's... suggestions?

xxoperatorxx

Baseband Member
Hi. Currently in the process of upgrading pc and looking for the cheapest card that can play latest games on highest settings smoothly. Any advice? Current and planned builds below

Current:

Case: bitfenix aurora full tower
Psu: 650watt superflower gold cert
Cpu: i5-4690k
Mobo: msi z97 gaming 5
Gpu: Asus 2gb gtx 760
Ram: 4x 4gb Kingston 1600mhz
Storage: 1x nmve 250gb 960 evo, 1x mx100 128gb 2.5 ssd, 3x 1tb hdd, 1x 2tb hdd
Cooling: phanteks cpu cooler 2 fan, 4x 140mm, 1x 120mm

Planned:

Case: bitfenix aurora full tower
Psu: 650watt superflower gold cert
Cpu: i5-7600k
Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Hero
Gpu: ??
Ram: 2x 8gb Kingston hyperx 2666mhz
Storage: 1x nmve 250gb 960 evo, 1x mx100 128gb 2.5 ssd, 3x 1tb hdd, 1x 2tb hdd
Cooling: ??, 4x 140mm, 1x 120mm

Thanks

Flexible on price. Just wanted to see what GPU's are good enough to run the latest and greatest.
What is classified as overkill for a card?
what is the bare minimum and recommended specs that games these days need?
Would like to get a card that wont be obsolete next year as well.

Been out of the loop for a couple years in terms of gaming so getting back into it now that I have more time on my hands.
I have read reviews and so on but performance on a page always differs to user experience.

Overkill depends on the resolution you are playing on. The ones I mentioned could be considered the bare minimum for 1080p. For 1080p getting 2 x 1080Ti would be overkill.

Start by doing some research on those 2 cards and go from there.

You could also get the new Vega cards but that's overkill too.

Thanks for the advice.

Will have a look at the 1060 and the 1080. Can't afford new monitor to play 1080p at the moment so that ain't crucial. Good to know we looking at a 6gb card or something similar.

Don't plan on overclocking hectically. Only done a little of oc'ing on current i5. Fairly inexperienced when it comes to oc'ing. Which is another dilemma for this build - do I spend the extra money on a i5 -####k or not? Not sure if will be oc'ing enough to warrant the money. And if I want to oc I could oc ram and gpu. Stock i5 still has plenty of power for the latest games... right?[emoji51]

Was going to go for a water cooler simply cause that is something I haven't tried in a build before and it looks cool [emoji12] was thinking a simple Corsair h60
Closed loop cooler would be a good start. Seems like good value for money and does the job on a oc'ed cpu, according to user reviews.

So, by saying that you can't afford a new monitor to play 1080p you mean that you're not using a 1080p monitor/TV right now? What specs do you have for video output? That's important to define overkill or good enough. Any plans for the new one?

You know, the 8th gen. Intel is supposedly out as Intel's website says. The i5's now come with 6 cores not 4 and that would give plenty power for real. But yes, modern i5's are good for games the vast majority of the time. I suggest checking the availability in your sources. Not sure how it is in SA (I mean South Africa, not Saudi Arabia ;) ).

Just for the info, I'm OC'ing my i5 3570K from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz and the mentioned Noctua NH-U14S keeps it nice and cool in this burning country and it never goes even close to 70C while heavy gaming. That's 800MHz. The system couldn't take more OC'ing, and the temp. was not the problem.

If you are not in 1080p a 1060 6Gb is perfect.

I can play fallout in ultra 1080p at around 45FPS, and my biggest drawback is the processor. You can't miss with the 1060. It's old, but it still beats AMD's new stuff (RX 580).

[FONT=&quot]Not sure of model but currently using a pretty dated (6 years old) Samsung 21.5 inch monitor through dvi (no hdmi) and a dell 23 inch via hdmi which is also old. Plan to buy a new monitor probably 24 inch full hd/2k not 4K. Damn expensive. but that it is next years problem but would like build accommodate a new monitor.[/FONT]

We pretty much have access to all, can use amazon from US as well. Got access to suppliers prices locally for some items, which is mostly the only reason i can afford to upgrade at all - 6 month old girl. been buying things that I want slowly and only the big four left - cpu, mobo, ram and gpu. Want to get gpu next as it might work with current build. And then need to save a little bit to splash cash for remaining 3 items.kinda working on a budget of R12 000 (900 USD / 3283 Saudi Riyal) for the last 4 items.

Not a such a diff in price for z300 mobo + 8th gen... i am surprised. Links are from a local retailer, really good PC store (deliver internationally btw)

planned Z270 mobo - https://www.wootware.co.za/asus-rog-z270-maximus-ix-hero-lga-1151-intel-z270-atx-kaby-lake-desktop-motheboard.html

Z370 mobo - https://www.wootware.co.za/asus-rog-maximus-x-hero-lga1151-intel-z370-coffee-lake-atx-desktop-motherboard.html

planned i5 (not k) - https://www.wootware.co.za/intel-i5-7600-3-5-ghz-quad-core-14nm-kaby-lake-socket-lga1151-desktop-cpu.html

8th gen i5 - https://www.wootware.co.za/intel-core-i5-8400-2-8ghz-hex-core-14nm-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-desktop-cpu.html

Link Below... good deal? 192bit is that an important factor in cards? Would a lower end 1070 be a better choice?

https://www.wootware.co.za/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-rog-strix-gtx1060-o6g-gaming-6gb-gddr5-192bit-pci-e-3-0-desktop-graphics-card-includes-mafia-3-virtual-game-code.html

Thanks again all

The 1070 is not lower end. Is faster than the 1060 and has SLI support. Remember the 1060 doesn't have SLI support. If you can afford, always buy the newer stuff. Half of it is marketing crap, but the other half is usually improvements. I'm not sure about this case though.

The 1060 is old, but still has the latest Nvidia architecture, and seems superior, or equal at least, to the newer AMD cards.

Now about the processor:

UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-7600K vs i5-8600K

Coffe Lake is still a bit unknown, but the improvements don't seem too wild. Even with the added cores. Maybe overclocked you would see a good difference, but I'm not sure how big of an improvement you'd see on the real world. As I said before, this could be more marketing than actual progress. Coffe Lake was released just so Intel is not forgotten now that everyone is buying Ryzen.

Back
Top Bottom