GPU's... suggestions?

this damn i5-7500 through a spanner in the works. bought the cpu cooler when i was planning on a k. Doesn't hurt to have one anyway. and with the i5-7500 at such a good price, in a couple of months its possible for me to sell the 7500 for a good amount and upgrade to a k. Going to go for 1070 def. Board suggestions if not oc'ing? looking at some options now as well in between getting some work done

Hmm... if there are plans to upgrade to the K CPU then you should have an OC'ing mobo then. If not, the price is what matters then. That's where I fail :(. But generally speaking, if it is within the budget and/or the price difference is not worth the trouble, go with the OC-able mobo.

However, I heard MSI uses a technology, called MCE if my memory serves me right, that runs the CPU at its highest boost speed even when all cores are used (normally when all cores are used, the speed runs at the base only) on some of their mobos. I don't know much about it so you may want to look it up. It could help with the non-K CPU you choose and at the same time makes use of the cooler you already purchased since boost increases temperature.

Even non-K CPU's can be OC'ed, by the way. It is just that they are not designed for that. Otherwise how can Turbo Boost work on them.

I guess there is nothing to do if the cooler is already purchased and cannot be returned anyway. Keep in mind that the cooler might not be compatible with future CPU sockets. If the cooler comes with different socket brackets, take good care of them too. I used one professional cooler with two generations of CPU's thanks to that.

Last edited:
Cooler has got sliding bracket, so should be compatible with most cpus for a while. def compatible with 1151 and 2011. I am going to build for OC'ing. So keeping the cooler and will buy a oc'able mobo.

So spending money for sure on the following:

• i5-7500 (on special now for good price- can try oc it or upgrade in near future to a k)
  • 1070 6GB gpu
  • Kingston Hyper X RAM
  • Mobo - prob the asus mentioned previously, although looking at other options

Now that's a plan. Best of luck!

I just checked Amazon and found a new i5 7500 for $190.99 USD.

Are you only looking for brand new packs?

Heard 6th and 7th gen. of Intel CPU's use the same mobos. Look it up and see if maybe you can get a cheaper higher performance tier K CPU of gen. 6 instead. That could save money and make use of the OC capabilities.

Last edited:
you might want to wait a week or two, the 1070 TI is coming out next week, expected to be similarly powered to 1080 original.....

I am not cool with 507. Can't afford that just received the prices and shared them. 325 is a good ball park figure. Which is a good price I think for the 1060.

Back
Top Bottom