GPU2 Folding error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So am trying to set up folding on dual 8800gt's for the first time...I followed the instructions from here:

Folding@home - WinGPUGuide

And have one up and running...the other I get the following message:

"At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver. You may wish to consider running out standard client, which you can download at folding.stanford.edu."

Both are xfx 8800gt cards and the drivers installed are from here:

Download CUDA Code - complete and free toolkit for creating derivative works

v. 178.08

Any ideas on why it's working on one and not the other?

Thanks.

F@H has been very fickle for me as well. What OS? Vista? Cause i can say that my Vista Folding is very fickle. It starts up just fine. But at about 30% it stops. Says it is sending the info and never recovers till i shut it down and start it up again. I am using the newest 178.24 drivers released on 10/15/08.

Hey again.

Using XP and other than my other gpu problem with my 8 and 9 series cards which i don't think is linked to folding I've never had a problem getting the nvidia client to work with XP and my cards.

However, i'm starting to think it might be something with my setup, I just noticed that although the second card is recognized in device manager when I plug a second monitor into it I get no response (either slot). The monitor and adapter are fine, if I plug them into the second slot of my first 8800gt it's detected but not when Its plugged into the second 8800gt. Any ideas?

I have sli disabled in nvidia monitor under "set up multiple displays" it reads only the monitors plugged into card #1.

You should have just sent me a pm man, only two people on the whole site are running dual cards in a single system.

You need to uninstall the drivers first, and reinstall with both cards inserted.

Then, follow the guide making the two shortcuts, change the machine id on each one. You also need to add the force gpu g80 flag and extend the desktop to the second card.

Oh and theres several F@H threads already.

I know this is like totally off base. But read this:

Ctrl+Alt+Del

He talks about setting up SLi but having to isntall 1 card. then the drivers. Then the 2nd card. To get it fully functional. Maybe that will work for you as well?

Yeah, thought about the pm but couldn't remember who was running the dual system. As for other threads...I've read a half dozen or so and problem wasn't answered. so I posted, sorry to clog the place up but have been trying to fix gpu problems for the last 3 days and am getting a wee bit frustrated as everything seems to go wrong at once.

Anyways, gracias...not sure what did it, have uninstalled, re-installed the process a number of times, followed all those steps you outlined and nothing. But is running now. Thanks.

edit: Sorry Mak213, wrote the post out and then forgot to hit "post"...is running now. Unfortunately, driver cleaner didn't work on my other system. Going to do reformat the other system now and install one driver at a time till the problem pops up.

Yup, both cards are folding....now just need to work on these hurricane level sounds coming from the stock 8800gt coolers when folding. You have Akimbo coolers on yours correct? How is that for sound levels?

Yup, the akimbo is silent at 50% fan speed and cools very well.

Its pretty much the same cooler as the 8800GTS 512, just made to fit the 8800GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom