GPU Temps

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Okay I sorta stole someone else's thread so I am just going to make a new one. My graphics card temp idle is 64c and my gpu ambient temp is 43c. This seems kinda high to me and I want to have it as low as possible so my parts last long.

All I have in my pc is my graphics card, one hd, and a dvd drive. I also have 4 case fans, 2 back intake and 2 side exhaust. So it is weird how the temps are so high. I was wondering if i switched the side fans to intake and the rear fans to exhaust if that would help. Any ideas? Btw my computer has no dust in it (I just cleaned it out today) and i have a 6800gt.

right now mine's at 39 degrees, at max it gets up to about 65 degrees, that's nothing to worry about, it's around 80 that you should start to worry. And yes that fan configuration will help. I also have an arctic cooling heatsink and fan on my gpu with arctic silver 5 so that helps alot, but then again i OC'ed alot. But really you shouldn't worry too much. But your fan configuration is backward lol, the side ones should pull in air and the back should exhaust air out.

Yeah I am going to switch the fans around and see it that helps. When I am playing games it can get up to 77-78c so i don't know if I should start to worry about it. No I have never really thought about aftermarket cooling, but I am considering now. How much do these types of things cost?

Also, as i found out in my thread lol, make sure you dont have any devices too close to the GPU's fan/heatsink, for example, Tuner cards that are too close :p...moved my tuner card down the bottom and Far Cry, as an example is running about 8-10c cooler...Just a suggestion

Matt

What video card is this? It usually depends on the core, but generally speaking, GPUs can tolerate a fair amount of heat compared to CPUs.

K so I switched the fans around and my gpu idle temp went from 64c to 60c. Still a bit on the hot side but at least it is an improvement. I am probably going to get a pci exhaust fan to help with the temps. Thanks for all the help.

It is a 6800gt.

if your 6800 has that huge fan on it (the one that covers up the entire pci slot next to it) then it will be hard (not impossible, just hard) to get it off for an aftermarket fan. Keeping that in mind, the aftermarket cooler is normally an improvement.

pci exuast fans work nice too, but if the fan on your card draws in air, not push it back away from the card, do not put the esaust directly under neith the card. both will be trying to suck air out meaning they both need to work harder, leading to higher fan speed. just put it a few slots down and you will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom