GPU runs hotter than reviews state

Dream-Knife

Solid State Member
Hello,
I'm lucky enough to have snagged a Powercolor Red Dragon Rx6800. However, when the card is on default its Junction temp will get as high as 90*, while reviews state it only got to 74-76*c. With my fan curve it hangs around here, but the stock fan curve of fans off until 60*, they reach a max of 52%. My curve has them going 65% at 75*.

Just wondering if there's a variance between same models. This is my first gaming PC.

Thank you.

Don't confuse junction temp with edge temp. Junction temp is the hottest part of the die and what you need to concern yourself with is edge temp which is what most monitoring software uses for temp reading.

Most reviews are done on an open test bench, inside a closed case it will be hotter + what chicken said above.

A 90c hotspot falls right in line with TPUs review with yours being in a case.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800/33.html

Don't confuse junction temp with edge temp. Junction temp is the hottest part of the die and what you need to concern yourself with is edge temp which is what most monitoring software uses for temp reading.

Most reviews are done on an open test bench, inside a closed case it will be hotter + what chicken said above.

A 90c hotspot falls right in line with TPUs review with yours being in a case.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800/33.html
That review has it at 83*.

This is a review of my actual card: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-6800-red-dragon/33.html

He's getting 63/75 under load at 1088 rpm (which is 35%). I'm around there under load but my fans are at 2100ish.

My case is a color master H500 with the mesh front which according to gamersnexus is one of the better cases for airflow.

Thank you for the info on junction temps. Why is it the fans follow junction and not CPU temps?

An open test bench will always be cooler no matter what case you have. If your temps are close I wouldn't worry too much about it, all silicon won't be exact. Your fans being higher means it needs more cooling power to make it as cool as what you're seeing on the open test bench, so no concern there either. If you want it quieter just flip the switch for the quiet bios. There's also the possibility that you have a later revision that has a different fan curve.

An open test bench will always be cooler no matter what case you have. If your temps are close I wouldn't worry too much about it, all silicon won't be exact. Your fans being higher means it needs more cooling power to make it as cool as what you're seeing on the open test bench, so no concern there either. If you want it quieter just flip the switch for the quiet bios. There's also the possibility that you have a later revision that has a different fan curve.
I was just worried I had a defective unit or something. All the reviews I've seen for it had it significantly lower fan speeds for that temp as I said. ~2200 vs 1100.

I'm using the Radeon software so I assume its the same settings.

I appreciate the help guys. This is my first dedicated GPU. New bike syndrome I guess.

Btw: what are good GPU temps to aim for?

Anything lower than 95c really. If it starts to climb and can't get under control beyond that point you got a problem (when the fans are maxed that is). Target temps for modern GPUs are anywhere between 80 and 90c then they'll stabilize to maintain boost.

Back
Top Bottom