GPU issue with laptop?

Dracarnion

Solid State Member
I have a Toshiba satellite p 105 s6227 laptop (it's about 5 yrs old) I recently got a blank gray screen on bootup that was persistent and after bringing to a shop, they declared it a motherboard issue and told me it was junk. Being the persistent person that I am, I tried fixing it myself. I installed Windows 7 with an attached vga monitor and after rebooting, it worked fine without the attached monitor.

However, after using it for a few minutes and updating the drivers and installing Windows updates, I get a BSOD regarding nvlddk.says, which I narrowed down to an Nvidia issue. (The laptop has a GeForce go 7600) this comes up again every time the system is rebooted. I thought I could reinstall and skip all updates, but even after reinstalling multiple times, the system loads with a very reduced graphics (24 colors maybe) and vertical lines across the screen. This occurs with an XP install or Windows 7.

I was able to reinstall the first time with the graphics looking fine,I'm confused as to why they show garbled after reinstalling again. It's an integrated gpu, so attempts to re-seat it are not an option. Is the gpu/mobo screwed or is there a way I can get it to work without installing any drivers as I did before?

Thanks

Did you install Windows 7 64bit or 32bit?

Did you try installing the Nvidia driver(s) from the manufacturer's product page?
Drivers & Software Support | Toshiba

64 bit. I tried installing the driver from Nvidia.com and that is the one that was crashing. I'll try installing the driver for 32 bit windows or vista from the link you provided (I didn't see one for win 7 64 bit other than the "Nvidia Guard Service", which I believe is only related to security.

edit: yeah, the vista driver and the win 7 32 driver don't work. If I uninstall the current driver (standard VGA graphics adapter) and reboot, it will install the driver that will eventually crash the computer. This driver seemed to have worked fine for years, but now the only thing that's stable is if I keep the current driver.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom