GPS Navigation Systems

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
For those of you that use them in your cars, which brand do you prefer? Garmin, TomTom, etc? I'm looking to get one very soon. This will be my first GPS system too so I prefer a good one. I hear good things about TomTom, but they have issues with Garmin right now in court. Still, I don't care about that.

TRDCorolla said:
For those of you that use them in your cars, which brand do you prefer? Garmin, TomTom, etc? I'm looking to get one very soon. This will be my first GPS system too so I prefer a good one. I hear good things about TomTom, but they have issues with Garmin right now in court. Still, I don't care about that.
TomTom is supposed to be good, I had a magellan GPS that i sold on ebay a while back which attached to my palm which I also sold. TomTom seems to be the best right now.

Garmin is the best in the market. It's been used time and time again by professionals and ameteurs alike. My dad has a Magellan GPS unit though...pretty nice. Easy to use and works well. TomTom looks okay, but I've heard that it's actually not as good as the commercials make it out to be.

TRDCorolla said:
That's what I figured. Those TomTom commercials are getting to me on TV. I don't see any other GPS commercials.
yeah i see them over and over "it's TomTom not Sue Sue"

Ha, those are the commercials. The latest one is Scott Scott, lol. The GPS systems look pretty simple to install. They seem to plug into the power outlet directly and that's it. Then the unit itself is mounted by means of suction cup to the windshield. Hmmm, sounds cheap to me. You would think that eventually, they'll fall off.

Yeah, the units are simple and easy to mount. I think the new ones are flat now instead of that CRT shape that made it so annoying when it came to portability.

It still kind of get into the way though for it to be mounted onto the windshield like that. It cost a lot more to have it custom installed in your dash or console area. The TomTom's are pretty neat in which the maps are downloaded from their website onto a small SD card. THen that is inserted into the unit itself for navigation and can be updated anytime. I had no idea that's how it works. I always thought it communicated with towers nearby or satellite, lol.

Back
Top Bottom