got the new wireless ADSL router

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
OK, i put in all the settings from my ISP.

one computer is wired, and this works fine, and has internet access. this uses an automatically assigned IP.

The two computers on wireless will not connect unless they are given a static IP, and they have no internet access. the DHCP server is on.

what could i be doing wrong?

the router is an: "Linksys SRX200 ADSL Router"

EDIT: OK, fixed that. I don't know how though...

My new problem is that if i plug in the ethernet cable, so i can attempt to network with the Mac, then i have no internet on the wireless. It connect, but no internet.

This is with the ethernet plugged into the OLD router with the DHCP off.

EDIT EDIT: just a thought, could the fact that i am on xp HOME have anything to do with this?

No, XP Home should work just fine. So, let me get this straight...you have the SRX200 wired into a MAC and then have 2 PCs connected wirelessly?

Are you starting them in the right sequence? Try unplugging everything then restart the modem, then plug it into the router then the pc, some configurations are really picky about thi.

Jack

I see what you are doing but I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish here. If you are trying to use ICS behind a NAT router, IÂ’m not even sure if it can be accomplish especially with a wireless connection involve, but I have been wrong before and many other people have said it would work but I doubt them.

The thing you need to turn off on the old router would be DHCP, NAT (if there is such a setting) and change the LAN address to correspond with the current subnet.

You need to use the switch port, that means leave the wan port alone since it has nothing to help you with. Connect both computers to the switch ports; this will just turn that old router into a 4 port switch.

Straight through cables should be fine for this setup. http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8867/23qc1.jpg

basically all it accomplishes is giving the Mac internet.

i will have a fiddle around after i have got my linux setup nicely. it may even be an idea to try it in linux, rather than windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom