Got my new guitar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am getting into guitars now. I've been putting it off for along time and almost everyone in family is a professional musician and my uncle owns a guitar shop. Anyways I've been around asking family and friends for some pre-guitar buying advice, like what to get, what books i should read etc. Any advice? I'm trying to make as educated a decision as possible. Luckily I have a lot of talented friends who can teach me all the cool stuff, like sweeps and such.

So I am getting into guitars now. I've been putting it off for along time and almost everyone in family is a professional musician and my uncle owns a guitar shop. Anyways I've been around asking family and friends for some pre-guitar buying advice, like what to get, what books i should read etc. Any advice? I'm trying to make as educated a decision as possible. Luckily I have a lot of talented friends who can teach me all the cool stuff, like sweeps and such.

I just read stuff from Ultimate-Guitar.com

but they are biased, and stupid

I know a professional musician, and when I have a question, he just answers them all :D

Zmatt - Learn on an acoustic! Your playing will be so much cleaner, Seriously. Electric hides your mistakes with distortion. Alot of people I hear playing sweeps and fast stuff like that aren't clean at all. You want to be able to hear every note, not just a blur of noise. My advice to you is start on an acoustic, Learn all your chords and scales, Start learning songs then eventually write your own music, Sounds like you'll have alot of people helping you out and that's something I wish I had when I started playing haha.

Zmatt - Learn on an acoustic! Your playing will be so much cleaner, Seriously. Electric hides your mistakes with distortion. Alot of people I hear playing sweeps and fast stuff like that aren't clean at all. You want to be able to hear every note, not just a blur of noise. My advice to you is start on an acoustic, Learn all your chords and scales, Start learning songs then eventually write your own music, Sounds like you'll have alot of people helping you out and that's something I wish I had when I started playing haha.

Heh...sweep picking. Hard stuff. I'm learning it right now. I always work on picking speed/technique and stuff like that on my amp's clean channel so I can hear mistakes and make sure it is clean.

I don't think you should necessarily get an acoustic if you listen to/want to play, say metal. You can just do what I do, and work on stuff on a clean setting.

If you want some advice on what to buy, there was a thread not too long ago where I made some suggestions on guitars/amps. See if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom