Googles NEW Desktop Search Is Bad!

Gary Graefen

In Runtime
Google just released a program for your computer which indexes and allows you to search YOUR harddrive. After downloading the program and letting it index my harddrive I was amazed at how well and how fast it worked. General and specific searches of my harddisk worked as well as google on the net. I have a ful 80 gig harddisk!.

http://desktop.google.com/

Click on the url and get your copy

After your hardisk is indexed try a search like
fishing"jpg"

all my fishing pictures came up in a google search page.

what u mean netuser?
yeah il download it...but doesnt start/search/for files and folders do the same thing...

So... erm... why did you say it was Bad?

not that it isn't of course. If they check through the content of your e-mails for advertising information; why would they not check through their index of your files and see if you're interested in any ads, random popups, or just general information on goods? It says in the Privacy Policy: 'Your computer's content is not made accessible to Google or anyone else without your explicit permission.' Explicit permission can easily mean saying yes to the End User Agreement before you install it.

Longhorn won't do this; American and European People have been going through it with a fine toothcomb for anything Anti-Trustworthy about it. Wait until that is out; even with WinFS out of the system at the beginning at least - they have to beat Google and Mac's Searches - so it's going to be better, more secure, and won't involve Google's underlying basis of Advertising.

If you are dumb enough to store personal info on your machine then you get what ya deserve. If you don't get rid of trojans on a ritual basis anybody can get your info-not just google.
I see googles search capability as an extension of my ability to find what I need when I need it. Paranoia about what they might do with anything they might find should be minimal. Ive already got all my most fundemental info all over the internet-Gee people know my name, how scary.

yah but I dont need it, MS media player does a good job of managing my mp3s its the best if you have about 10 gigs of songs like I do and I download like 500 megs a day so he he!!!

Back
Top Bottom