Google taking on Microsoft?

Steff

Daemon Poster
After the tread about YouOS (www.youos.com) I did abit of research and It looks like google are making an online OS, aswell as, one adopted by Ubuntu (Gobuntu)!

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060131-6087.html

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/googleos_what_to_expect.php

Possibilities

We see 3 scenarios for a GoogleOS:

* A web based desktop (i.e. operating system)
* A full featured Linux distribution
* A lightweight Linux distro and/or BIOS

I personaly think it would be great with the amount of FREE software you would get with it and the fact that it would be FREE and take down Microsoft would be pretty funny too!
I think it would be a hard task to do though, but possibly a task worth doing!

What do you guys think? :p

EDIT: Some screenshots of what it could possibly look like! :p

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=googleos&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Hmm... it looks to me like Google will actually turn into Microsoft, let alone just take them on. I think they'll get greedy and start grabbing money like M$ and Apple do! I wouldn't be so sure it'll take MS down, Apple are a far bigger company and haven't managed that yet.

I'm either buying a new MacBook when Leopard comes out, or switching my box over to Linux. I'm not a fan of online OSs myself - they're not, technically speaking, operating systems, because they're running remotely and not controlling the operation of your actual local machine.

I think Google are a bit too arrogant and a bit "look at me, I'm Google!" to use Linux, they'll probably use the Linux kernel and build something original on top of it.

UK31337 said:
Hmm... it looks to me like Google will actually turn into Microsoft, let alone just take them on. I think they'll get greedy and start grabbing money like M$ and Apple do! I wouldn't be so sure it'll take MS down, Apple are a far bigger company and haven't managed that yet.

Lets hope they dont get that! Thats what makes them great, all the things they do, and, for free! I would love them to take Microsoft down if they stayed free! A very hard thing to do seeming they have the power and money which google have too, but alot of people will just go with Microsoft because its a big name OS and what have you, but I guess time will tell!! :p

I don't think there is a company out there that can compete with microsoft. Windows is just too widely used and it's what people are used to. Apple has been around as long as microsoft has and they're not even close to competing with microsoft.

I don't think there is a company out there that can compete with microsoft. Windows is just too widely used and it's what people are used to. Apple has been around as long as microsoft has and they're not even close to competing with microsoft.

Actually... Microsoft has a better marketing then Apple, Apple oculd of tooken the lead if they'd of had better marketing.

And microsoft won't last forever, nothing does.

Personally I'm not a fan of an oline operating system because I think it will be too easy for them to take control

Nik00117 said:
Actually... Microsoft has a better marketing then Apple, Apple oculd of tooken the lead if they'd of had better marketing.

And microsoft won't last forever, nothing does.
lol, I wonder what that'd be like, we'd all be using mac's right now and bashing windows all the time...oh wait, we bash windows all the time anyway.

I don't know about microsoft not lasting forever, I mean c'mon, I'll bet 90% of the pc's in this world are running windows. I think they have the market locked up...lol. Thats job security.

I actually like the idea of an online OS in many respects, assuming that google make it really really awesome,

like you boot up and then for free there are a ton of great apps, like photoshop clones, and little games and such...

it'd be really cool if that were to happen.

though you'll most likely have to have an account, and pay for the apps that you want to use!

the only thing that strikes me as a bit stupid about the whole thing though...

what happens when someone else is usuing all your bandwidth. does that "I'll just spend five minutes posting on CF" turn into I'll just spend an hour waiting for the Kernel to download so that my computer can actually start?!

Back
Top Bottom