Goodluck to england

Totally, whenever we get a tiny bit of outside of average weather over here the news goes crazily out of proportion. It's no big thing at all - heck in Scotland they see this sort of thing regularly as well. England in general is lucky in the fact our weather is really very mild and uneventful in the grand scheme of things. Because of that though, whenever we get a tiny bit of snow or a little bit of wind, or it rains for a couple of days, everyone acts like the world's ending...

So true. In Ohio we have a saying.... "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes".

There are alot of 'your from Ohio' jokes about the weather too. Most of them are true.

If you've ever switched from the heat to the A/C and back to the heat on the same day...you might be from Ohio.

If you've ever worn shorts and a tee shirt one day and a hat and gloves the next...you might be from Ohio.

If you can drive 70MPH during a blizzard...you might be from Ohio.

If you're school classes have been cancelled because of heat and cold in the same school year...you might be from Ohio.

If you're halloween costume will fit over a snow suit...you might be from Ohio. (while this is true of many northern states, it was 38°F this weekend for trick-or-treat).

This one is probably truest of all:
If you think the 4 seasons are Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction...then you might be from Ohio.

Last edited:
Hearing about natural disastrophes from time to time, I hope things don't get bad with you guys. Never been in one, but the photage I see strike me hard so I kinda have an idea how seriously bad it could get.

Thankfully here in SA natural disastrophes - like - never happen.

I thought this topic was about football btw :)

And I hate football.

note:
Disastrophes = disaster + catastrophe. I heard it in some cartoon.

Hearing about natural disastrophes from time to time, I hope things don't get bad with you guys. Never been in one, but the photage I see strike me hard so I kinda have an idea how seriously bad it could get.

Thankfully here in SA natural disastrophes - like - never happen.

I thought this topic was about football btw :)

And I hate football.

note:
Disastrophes = disaster + catastrophe. I heard it in some cartoon.

I am like you Smart_Guy I've never really been a real serious situation. I live in Tasmania in the southern part of Australia where never get really bad floods, storms or anything like that but winter & spring (In spring currently) the winds have been horrible and we've had a lot of rain in the winter and some hail too at times, Probably one of the worst winter's I've had. Summer starts December so I am looking forward to it although I am not one for the hot weather but I want some hot weather..

I was without power for 3 hours because of the storm.
Also problem with the trains happened. so i am 1½ hours late to work today.

To those who say that it's nothing...

It's the worst storms in 25 years, watching the news 50,000 homes have been without power, and at least three have died, and you'd expect the person swept out to sea in 100mph winds with 20 foot waves is probably dead...

That said, so far as I know...
Everyone has power back. All fallen trees are removed from all cars/houses/major roads and (most if not all minor roads...)

Even most of the leaves appear to have been tidied up, we still have running water and public transport.

The storm was not a huricane, because we don't get hurricanes (not cyclones or any other tropical storms) but so far as systems of weather go and wind speeds it was a worse storm than hurrican sandy.

Which apparently paralysed New York for days (can they possibly be worse prepared (with more warning) than the uk?

So to everyone who says we just aren't prepared for extreme weather...
That is true, but we don't appear to have done badly...

I'm getting to not like the south any more. Give me snow and pouring rain. Lately we're lucky if it's foggy in the mornings.

Hurricane Sandy destroyed infrastructure. And New York is just above sea level so the flood waters had no where to go. I don't know what the UK is like?

2 summers ago my city and surrounding towns were without power for about a week after a huge wind strom went through. That was no fun.

Hurricane Sandy destroyed infrastructure. And New York is just above sea level so the flood waters had no where to go. I don't know what the UK is like?

2 summers ago my city and surrounding towns were without power for about a week after a huge wind strom went through. That was no fun.

The uk is entierly surrounded by coastline. (Atlantic, channel, North Sea and Irish Sea,

Lots of the country is either at or not far above sea level. (Though admitadly we have gotten rather good at building costal defences. Sea walls piers etc.)

What I'm saying is all those who think that the uk just isn't prepared etc have a look around at equally developed countries, with equal if not more warning...

We were quite lucky in the end, not much damage atall here, although today the wind is really getting up again

That's right the only thing this country (UK) doesn't do well with is snow. And the met office recon we are getting plenty of it this year.

And the news today said that the top of Scotland has already got a little bit. All be it a dusting.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom