Goodbye Windows

I saw it about a year ago. I read up on it and according to what I read it wasn't very good. But I never tested it. Maybe it's better now.

Tried it from the live cd but it just locked up when it said "installing devices." I'll try an installation tomorrow but I'll need to put a spare hard drive in my pc first because I suspect it will wipe anything it is installed on although I could use a VM I suppose.

I have it running in a VM and can boot it up but the mouse pointer can only be moved around on a small fraction of the screen so it's not usable. I never bothered to troubleshoot it beyond that as it's just a throwback to Windows NT, ugly as hell and nothing that I would trade Win 10 for or install as the main OS on any of my computers.

I doubt it could ever make a dent in Windows sales or ever be any kind of threat to Windows.

Interesting project though.

I wonder if this is why Microsoft are giving away Windows.

Probably not, reactos is still in alpha, where it's been for more than a decade. I couldn't find much info on it, but it looks like this is a russian built operating system. Can anyone confirm/deny?

ReactOS Has been around for alteast for 10 years and from the looks of things hasn't progressed anywhere. The more mainstream distro's have more of a chance of "Replacing Windows" than this project I'm afraid.

^ Exactly. Unless you need to play new games or use some Windows-only software, there is no need for a Windows clone. There are replacements for almost everything in the Linux world. It just takes a little getting used to.

ReactOS has been stuck forever. The project is too ambitious. Windows has had thousands of developers over the years and it's been around for, what, over 20 years? No way some guys working only in their free time will do something similar. Time would be better spent developing the Linux kernel or in any of the multiple programs designed to make the transition to Linux easier, like LibreOffice or WINE.

Either way, even though I enjoy using Linux (that's the only reason why I use Arch and Gentoo), I can't think of a good reason to replace Windows other than cost. A little harmless spyware? Closed-source software? "Frequent" and "invasive" updates? C'mon...

Back
Top Bottom