Good networking cards?

I went to best buy yesterday and they didn't have the Linksys one, but they had the same type "Gigabit 10/100/1000 Ethernet networking card" from Netgear for about the same price, so I got that one.It is an extremely good networking card, very fast and reliable.(plus it doesn't fluxuate much, pretty much stays constant)

It's alot faster than I'm used to, but thats because I was using onboard Ethernet(taxes on the processor)

The fastest connection possible on the internet is using cable or DSL speed is about 2.3Mbps.

The generic NIC 100 card is capaible of 100Mbps. So do the math when you are using a T3 to the fullest you are only using 2.3% of the cards capability.

2.3% that's 2 POINT 3%!!!

If you don't believe me, do Ctrl-Alt-Del and get the performace tab. Click on network and see how much of the network capability you are using. I bet it will be around 1.0% to 1.5% for most DSL and cable users. Even if you use full duplex and uploading at the same time on a different connection then you would be using about 3%.

Don't worry about taxing the CPU for a onboard network card for ony 3% of the total capability, when you are currently using around 1.5%.

I'm just getting ready for when internet companies actually use that speed, of course they won't use it now.One other thing, I very rarely ever get 2-3 MBS, My connection has been tested above 43 MBS.
On the slowest days, I'll get about 20 MBS.(it's probably like that for two reasons, 1.not many people in my neighborhood have a cable connection. 2.I have been set up by someone, where if I told you exactly what he did, he'd lose his job and I would have to find another ISP.LOL

Well its not just connection speeds, LAN can reach those speeds. And nah, you can get up to around 10MPS not just 2.3 or whatever. thats the highest ive seen.

Speeds are not physically able to go above 10Mbps on a cable or DSL line, not even a T1 can have those types of speeds.

You can get those speeds via T3 and of course the OC standards, but I don't have $10,000 a month for a T3 connection.

Take a look and see for yourself.
http://www.dslreports.com/information/kb/maximum+DSL+speeds
http://www.t1-t3-dsl-line.com/solutions.php

The 10Mbps you seen must have been cache.

So please understand speeds and how to calculate them before telling me I am incorrect.

the world wide web is full of lies and incorrect information. If you dont work for a communications company no one can complain.

to killerdobberman

I'm not calling anyone a liar, or trying to make you sound stupid(the fact is, like I said before, what this guy did was not exactly LEGAL.I have no idea what he did, but I'm satisfied with my internet.

Back
Top Bottom