Good-ish Conroe News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
While I was on Digg, I noticed this, which could potentially be good news for all of us planning to get a Conroe this summer. I wonder if it's true? I mean, at worst, this could still mean Conroe supplies will be tight, rather than not there.

Saw that too.

I think it's been overemphasized anyway. People forget that Intel's manufacturing capabilities are FAR FAR FAR above AMD's. Intel has 8 or 9 Fabrication plants while AMD has like 2. Even if 20% of Intel's shipments are Conroes, thats still way more than the total number of AMD Athlon 64 processors that are shipped.

There will be enough Conroes. Like that newspage says, Intel is going to be charging roughly the same price for all buyers, so Newegg should be able to get their hands on a few hundred thousand.

You people do know how the supply-demand laws work, right?

In the end it will boil down to whoever can produce the best performing hardware, for the lowest price, in other words the price : performance ratio. For example, if CPU A costs $500 and then CPU B costs $1000 but only performs 10% faster than CPU A, which CPU will be more popular to the crowd? Obviously CPU A. Look at the 7800GT vs 7800GTX and 7900GT vs 7900GTX for example ... people want the best bang for buck, not the best performance (but if you can get that too, it's certainly awesome!).

So in conclusion, if there are Conroe shortages, which I wouldn't be suprised if there were, seeing as every enthusiast wants to get their hands on one, and Intel hopes to have at least 1/3 of the prebuilt PC sales consist of Core 2 CPU's before the end of the year, Intel will be hurt. AMD has already chipped away the prices of it's CPUs now ... and we aren't even into July yet.

AMD doesn't have to top Intel for now, because that would be very, very difficult. They merely need Intel at bay and hold out long enough for their new architecture.

Intel can produce many more CPUs than AMD, however Intel also holds a larger responsibility at supplying to many brands and corporations. Dell for example, and now Apple. When Yonah was released, there was a huge shortage of Yonah chips, and Intel had to choose who to "give" them too, they chose Apple. There are many more desktops than laptops, and the demand for Conroe is certainly higher than Yonah, so hopefully Intel has planned for that.

Bah, Humbug.

Intel to ensure sufficient Core 2 Duo supply to channel market.

Is that not enough for you? If Intel charges everyone the same price, then sites like Newegg can buy as many as they want. And Dell has to pay just as much, not 1/2 the actual price.

Plus the enthusiast market is a tiny amount of the real thing.

Infomatic said:
Plus the enthusiast market is a tiny amount of the real thing.

Exactly, im betting that the first 1 1/2 to 2 months, most sites are going to be sold out majority of the time. But then after that the HUGE enthusiasts who must have one now will. Then they will be in good supply for a majority of the time afterwards.

Infomatic said:
Ouch, the X360 shortage. Bad memories.

I'm glad I'm not an Xbox fan.

Something interesting though. My friends brother works at Freddy's and due to his discount he bought the X360 for exactly $360.

I don't think there will be that much of a shortage. Companies like Dell are going to sell P4 and PD machines until they use up the last P4 and PD processors exisiting on the planet, because 99% of the people who buy computers wont know any better.

Also, other than the enthusiasts that will immediantly buy those conroes in the stores the common customers will NOT go for the conroe simply because they will take much longer time to understand that slower core speeds are not a bad thing lol... (P4 / D Goes for higher clock speeds than the conroes) so the majority will NOT buy conroes so quickly... thus there will be near to no shortage at all, IMO At least.

-Jo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom