good computer (final Version)

newbie1323

Baseband Member
HI, sorry for putting up several of these style posts but here is my final version, this is intended to be future proof and for gaming:

Sony DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping

Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive

Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Graphics Card

P5E3 deluxe X38 chipset

coolermaster stacker 831

2gb Crucial basaltic tracer ddr3 14400 ram

Thermaltake tough power 750w modular PSU

Do you plan to lower you timings on that DDR3 RAM? If not, it doesn't make sense to get it.

now i know i need to i will, what should i lower it to? also im getting it to make the system more future proof

Your FSB is going to be 266mhz is you don't overclock your CPU. This means, even though your RAM may be running at crazy fast DDR3 1800, it will only be performing @ 532 speeds. I have no idea what the timings are on the DDR3 RAM, but you basically lower it to your FSB...in this case, you'd change ti to 532 and get crazy low timings. Basically; your RAM will be performing at 1/4 of it's potential if you don't lower the timings, and even if you do, you really won't get that much extra performance. (I think....though I'm bound to be corrected).

However, the costs outweigh the performance, especially in a budget build like yours. It'd be a much better idea to get 4GBs of DDR2 800 and spend the extra cash on a better video card or processor.

Also, a 750W PSU is completely ridiculous for your build; even to future proof it.

The problem with 4 gigs of ram is that i actually save only about £10. i have found this ram for £60 and a decent kit of 4gig ddr2 ram would be about £50, plus id need to buy a 64 bit operating system which would make the ddr2 more expensive, and the extra powerfull psu is because im planning to crossfire the garhpics card in the future. Also i am planning to overclock it. one thing i forgot to memtion is a zalman cnps 9700 cpu cooler.

Also i woudn't say its a budget build: high end mobo, decent cpu, expensive case and psu, good ram, medium high end video card, the only thing thats budget is the HDD and optical drive

The problem with 4 gigs of ram is that i actually save only about £10. i have found this ram for £60 and a decent kit of 4gig ddr2 ram would be about £50, plus id need to buy a 64 bit operating system which would make the ddr2 more expensive, and the extra powerfull psu is because im planning to crossfire the garhpics card in the future. Also i am planning to overclock it. one thing i forgot to memtion is a zalman cnps 9700 cpu cooler

Wow...it usually goes for $180-250 (In Britain, I'm sure it's even more).....if you can get it at that price, go for it.

Don't get the Zalman 9700, though. It's overrated. See if you can get a Xigmatek HDT-S963 or the OCZ Vendetta. They're cheaper too!

750W is still unnecessary for crossfiring two 4850s. I have two 4870s, with a 750W PSU and it's still overkill.

550W should be fine- it can easily handle two 4850s...and DDR3 modules use less power than DDR2 (so don't worry about that)....

Back
Top Bottom