Good $300 amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
I had gotten a 97 gibson les paul studio and held off getting an amp till my mom felt I was good enough to get a decent amp. Tomorrow I am going to go to guitar center and pick up a amp. The limit is $300 and I just really want a straight good sounding amp. The eq's I could really care less about unless its worth it.

Maybe audio and multimedia section.. ?

He's asking what amps he should look at...

It's kind of hard to give you recommendations without knowing what you play but...

This would be ideal if your serious about playing:
Buy Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amp online at Musician's Friend

You should be able to talk the sales guy down to like 350-360 at least. It's a little more than what you want/have to spend, but it's a good amp, and can get a variety of sounds...great bang for the buck. It would last you a while.

This would be a good choice for blues/rock. The 2nd one is a slightly higher model. Basically the same thing. Again, you'd be able to talk the price down:
Buy Palomino V8 5W Class A Tube Combo Amp online at Musician's Friend
Buy Palomino V16 15W Class A Tube Combo Amp online at Musician's Friend

Check out some of those Roland cubes if they have them too. Those are decent.
Buy Roland Cube 60 Guitar Amp online at Musician's Friend
Buy Roland Cube 20X Guitar Combo Amplifier online at Musician's Friend
Buy Roland Cube 30X Guitar Combo Amplifier online at Musician's Friend

One thing I will stress, DO NOT buy a Marshall MG or any of the Line 6 Spiders. Those amps are all complete trash. Harsh, sterile tone. Avoid at all costs.

amplifiers kinda fit into audio... but it'll be fine here i suppose.

Simple, just spend a lot of cash $$.

amplifiers kinda fit into audio... but it'll be fine here i suppose.

Simple, just spend a lot of cash $$.

Ah, I thought you were telling him where to look in a store for amps...:p My bad. Technically though, that forum is for COMPUTER audio/multimedia.

that peavey valveking is your best bet, IMO. great sound, great reliability. it will give you a more saturated distortion than the palominos

but here's the question...are you going to be playing loud or just practicing softly?

with a tube amp, the higher powered ones won't sound good at low volumes. that peavey is 50watts. you'd have to crank that thing LOUD to really get some good overdrive out of it.

if you're going to be playing softer, i would seriously consider the palomino V8. it sounds AMAZING, but you can get some great crunch out of it at lower volumes. it can still get pretty friggin loud though

don't even think about the roland cubes, IMO. they're solid state (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) and they just dont sound very impressive

I know some one who has that amp and they use it all the time and love it. I can't attest to using it personally as i don't play the devils violin but I know that the sound from that one is crisp an clear. Good buy.

Vox
Roland

Peavey 5150 combo off of ebay

Crate amps.... the tube ones... meh. they're alright, but roland cube is the best for metal/gain. However, my vox valvetronix AD50 does a very good job at it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom